Adam Eaton, Cody Ross among injured looking to join D-backs soon
Manager Kirk Gibson started his media availability Tuesday with a question about center fielder Adam Eaton's progress. Eaton is out with a sprained left elbow but started hitting again on April 4.
"He's hitting on the field and he might be hitting in a regular group," Gibson said. "I think around the 18th or 19th (of April) is one month and it's kind of when we'll redo those tests we were talking about. We'll start to get him in some live stuff and if everything is good around then, we'll start working on his arm a little bit."
Next up on Gibson's list of injured players was outfielder Cody Ross. The veteran has been absent from D-backs' lineup since suffering a strained calf injury on March 3.
"I talked to Cody and he's probably going to play a couple games in Reno Friday and Saturday, nine innings hopefully," said Gibson. "He'll play nine innings (Wednesday) probably in Visalia. Come home for a day, fly to Reno."
Gibby said he hopes Ross can get back with the team sooner rather than later when asked about him coming on the team's upcoming road trip.
"He could (join the team in New York)," said Gibson. "We're assuming that everything will go good. He hasn't really run too much because he hasn't gotten a hit yet, so. "
Starting pitcher Daniel Hudson started the season on the 60-day DL after having Tommy John surgery last season. Gibson said he hasn't had any setbacks through this point in the rehab process.
"Huddy threw today in a bullpen that was really good," said Gibson. "He's got another bullpen on Friday. He's going to throw live BP next Tuesday. He's throwing the ball really well."
Last but not least, there's shortstop Didi Gregorius and infielder Willie Bloomquist. Gregorius is with Triple-A Reno as he rehabs from an elbow strain, and Bloomquist is still getting treatment every day for his right oblique.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.