Updated Apr 9, 2013 - 11:08 pm
Grit Index: McCarthy struggles, D-backs fall for second straight night to Pirates
Arizona starter Brandon McCarthy wasn't sharp early on, and the Pirates took advantage with three hits and a run in the top of the first inning. Pittsburgh then went on to add five more runs in the fourth. Needless to say, it wasn't McCarthy's night. He ended up throwing 115 pitches in 6 2/3 innings of work and was tagged with the loss.
Starling Marte, Neil Walker and Garrett Jones each finished the night with two RBI for the Pirates.
Despite the loss the D-backs did manage some offense early, scoring four of their five runs in the first inning. Miguel Montero had three RBI, and Jason Kubel added a two-run home run.
The Pirates seem to have the D-backs' number. They are 6-2 in their last eight games against Arizona and 12-6 in their last 18.
Outfielder Jason Kubel has now hit safely in all six of his starts this season. He started the game Tuesday night in right field.
Stat of the Night:
D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy allowed five runs in the fourth inning and that was the most he's given up in an inning since August 12, 2011 against the Texas Rangers.
He Said It:
"I think he threw the ball good. Probably I didn't call the right pitches. I think I called too many pitches on two strikes. It's probably my fault and I have to make adjustments to it. Hopefully next outing will be next for me and him both, working together. I can't really blame it on him because it was my fault. I was the one putting the fingers down, he went with me, he trusted me and unfortunately I guess I didn't have the right fingers today." -- Catcher Miguel Montero on his miscues with starter Brandon McCarthy.
The Diamondbacks look to avoid a sweep Wednesday in their series finale with the Pirates. Left-hander Wade Miley gets the start for Arizona and will be opposed by Pittsburgh left-hander Jonathan Sanchez. First pitch is at 12:40 p.m. on Arizona Sports 620.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.