Updated Apr 9, 2013 - 11:08 pm
Grit Index: McCarthy struggles, D-backs fall for second straight night to Pirates
Arizona starter Brandon McCarthy wasn't sharp early on, and the Pirates took advantage with three hits and a run in the top of the first inning. Pittsburgh then went on to add five more runs in the fourth. Needless to say, it wasn't McCarthy's night. He ended up throwing 115 pitches in 6 2/3 innings of work and was tagged with the loss.
Starling Marte, Neil Walker and Garrett Jones each finished the night with two RBI for the Pirates.
Despite the loss the D-backs did manage some offense early, scoring four of their five runs in the first inning. Miguel Montero had three RBI, and Jason Kubel added a two-run home run.
The Pirates seem to have the D-backs' number. They are 6-2 in their last eight games against Arizona and 12-6 in their last 18.
Outfielder Jason Kubel has now hit safely in all six of his starts this season. He started the game Tuesday night in right field.
Stat of the Night:
D-backs starter Brandon McCarthy allowed five runs in the fourth inning and that was the most he's given up in an inning since August 12, 2011 against the Texas Rangers.
He Said It:
"I think he threw the ball good. Probably I didn't call the right pitches. I think I called too many pitches on two strikes. It's probably my fault and I have to make adjustments to it. Hopefully next outing will be next for me and him both, working together. I can't really blame it on him because it was my fault. I was the one putting the fingers down, he went with me, he trusted me and unfortunately I guess I didn't have the right fingers today." -- Catcher Miguel Montero on his miscues with starter Brandon McCarthy.
The Diamondbacks look to avoid a sweep Wednesday in their series finale with the Pirates. Left-hander Wade Miley gets the start for Arizona and will be opposed by Pittsburgh left-hander Jonathan Sanchez. First pitch is at 12:40 p.m. on Arizona Sports 620.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?