Nominees announced for English translation prize
NEW YORK (AP) - A novel by Romanian-born German Nobel laureate Herta Muller (hehr-TAH' MYOO'-lur) is among the finalists for prizes given for best English language translations of fiction and poetry.
Muller's "The Hunger Angel" was translated from German by Philip Boehm (BOH'-him) and has been nominated for a Best Translated Book Award.
Ten fiction works and six poetry books were announced Wednesday by Three Percent, a center for international literature that's based at the University of Rochester in New York. Winning authors and translators each receive $5,000, prize money donated by Amazon.com. Winners will be announced next month.
Other fiction nominees include Argentine Sergio Chejfec's (SHAY'-fekz) "The Planets," translated from Spanish by Heather Cleary. In poetry, finalists include Emmanuel Hocquard's (oh-KARDZ') "The Invention of Glass," translated from French by Cole Swenson and Rod Smith.
A full list of nominees: http://www.rochester.edu/College/translation/threepercent/
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.