Nominees announced for English translation prize
NEW YORK (AP) - A novel by Romanian-born German Nobel laureate Herta Muller (hehr-TAH' MYOO'-lur) is among the finalists for prizes given for best English language translations of fiction and poetry.
Muller's "The Hunger Angel" was translated from German by Philip Boehm (BOH'-him) and has been nominated for a Best Translated Book Award.
Ten fiction works and six poetry books were announced Wednesday by Three Percent, a center for international literature that's based at the University of Rochester in New York. Winning authors and translators each receive $5,000, prize money donated by Amazon.com. Winners will be announced next month.
Other fiction nominees include Argentine Sergio Chejfec's (SHAY'-fekz) "The Planets," translated from Spanish by Heather Cleary. In poetry, finalists include Emmanuel Hocquard's (oh-KARDZ') "The Invention of Glass," translated from French by Cole Swenson and Rod Smith.
A full list of nominees: http://www.rochester.edu/College/translation/threepercent/
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.