Nominees announced for English translation prize
NEW YORK (AP) - A novel by Romanian-born German Nobel laureate Herta Muller (hehr-TAH' MYOO'-lur) is among the finalists for prizes given for best English language translations of fiction and poetry.
Muller's "The Hunger Angel" was translated from German by Philip Boehm (BOH'-him) and has been nominated for a Best Translated Book Award.
Ten fiction works and six poetry books were announced Wednesday by Three Percent, a center for international literature that's based at the University of Rochester in New York. Winning authors and translators each receive $5,000, prize money donated by Amazon.com. Winners will be announced next month.
Other fiction nominees include Argentine Sergio Chejfec's (SHAY'-fekz) "The Planets," translated from Spanish by Heather Cleary. In poetry, finalists include Emmanuel Hocquard's (oh-KARDZ') "The Invention of Glass," translated from French by Cole Swenson and Rod Smith.
A full list of nominees: http://www.rochester.edu/College/translation/threepercent/
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.