Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 5:04 pm
Wade Miley enjoys relatively easy day at 'the office'
Wednesday was not one of those days for Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Wade Miley. The 26-year-old got early and plentiful run support and cruised to his second victory of the season in a 10-2 decision over the Pittsburgh Pirates at Chase Field.
Miley allowed two runs on six hits in 6.2 innings of work in the win.
"Those games get tough sometimes, with long innings, but you just have to stay focused and get the offense back on the field," he said.
Miley allowed a leadoff double to Pittsburgh's Starling Marte on the first pitch of the game, but settled down and retired the next three hitters to retire the side. The next time he stepped on the mound, he had a three-run cushion.
"He threw the ball great," manager Kirk Gibson said. "Moved in and out good, had a good slider, a good changeup.
"It was a great effort -- it was what we needed."
Indeed it was. The Diamondbacks were able to take the final game of the three-game series against Pittsburgh, thanks in part to Miley.
"You just want to go out every time, every one of us wants to go out and give the team a chance to win every time out," Miley said. "It's good to kind of salvage the series right there."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.