Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 5:25 pm
Kirk Gibson's vote of confidence propels A.J. Pollock's career day
"I had a hunch," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said of his decision to bat Pollock second in his batting order.
Pollock delivered immediately, hitting a double to the left-center field gap in the first inning before scoring on a throwing error by Pirates' starter Jonathan Sanchez. It was the first run of many for the Diamondbacks, who ultimately won 10-2 to salvage a win in the final game of the series.
"I caught a break," he explained of his first-inning run, which began as a stolen base attempt, "and I kind of was thinking, ‘Hey, maybe it will be my day today' after that."
Pollock's terrorization of Sanchez continued into his following two at-bats, both resulting in home runs, and the left-hander was ousted after just 3.1 innings. It would be his first multi-homer game as a professional baseball player, as he managed just two in 81 at-bats with the Diamondbacks last season.
Pollock, who batted seventh and went 3-for-4 on Opening Day, made the team's roster after outfielders Adam Eaton and Cody Ross suffered injuries during spring training. He has since played in six of the Diamondbacks' nine games.
Fellow outfielder Alfredo Marte -- who also made the Opening Day roster due to the Eaton and Ross injuries -- is off to a .308 start, after reaching base four times and hitting an RBI double on Wednesday.
Now, with Ross due back as early as Tuesday, Pollock will need another assurance from his manager in order to stay with the big league team.
"We're not talking about that (decision)," a smiling Gibson said after Wednesday's game. "We're talking about winning a game. Can we just cherish this for a second?"
Uncertain as his future is, that's all Pollock can do after performances like Wednesday's.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.