A.J. Pollock looking to seize opportunity with the D-backs
Arizona Diamondbacks center fielder A.J. Pollock had a career day at the plate against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday, ending an 0-for-14 skid by going 3-for-5 with two home runs, a double and four RBI.
But despite the D-backs' outfielder's eye-opening performance, Pollock knows he has to continue to play well if he hopes to remain on the big league club after Cody Ross is activated from the disabled list next week.
"When I am in the lineup, I am there on the team and I am ready to compete," Pollock told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday. "When I'm not in the lineup, I am trying to be the best bench player I can and all the other stuff, I am not going to really start thinking about. It really doesn't do you any good."
Pollock made the Opening Day roster after injuries to starting outfielders Ross and Adam Eaton. He has hit .273 with two home runs and six RBI in seven games played this season.
"I try to do a little bit of everything," Pollock stated. "Every single day, no matter what, I should be able to bring something to the table whether it's the defense or whether it's my hitting that day or my baserunning."
While the decision on Pollock's immediate future is ultimately up to manager Kirk Gibson, the 25-year-old's attitude and work ethic certainly mirrors the D-backs' gritty recipe for success.
"I try to not be quiet for the whole game," Pollock said. "I try to do the little things right, too, and I think every day if you do the little things right, it's going to add up to a lot."
If Wednesday's game was any indication, Pollock's future appears to be a bright one.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.