Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 6:30 pm
D-backs GM: Cody Ross could be ready for New York trip
One of the team's big offseason acquisitions, the outfielder has been out since early March with a left leg strain. Combined with center fielder Adam Eaton's injury, Ross' absence has left the team rather thin in the outfield.
But that may soon change, as Ross is working his way back, with a stop at Single-A Visalia earlier in the week.
"He'll join our Reno club Friday and Saturday, be back here on Sunday, and if all goes well probably be activated when we go to New York," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "So he's coming along well, and he's running at 90 to 95 percent, and that was the big thing."
Ross hit .267 with 22 home runs and 81 RBI for the Boston Red Sox last year, so he has some familiarity with the Yankees, who the D-backs open a series with next Tuesday. However, he hit just .156 with two RBI in 32 at-bats in Yankee Stadium, so it may not be a park he's anxious to take some swings in.
Then again, at this point chances are good Ross will be excited just to be back on the field with the big league team.
"He was saying it's a little tough to hit down there in A-ball, when the ball's all over the place, you don't know where it's going to go," Towers said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.