Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 6:30 pm
D-backs GM: Cody Ross could be ready for New York trip
One of the team's big offseason acquisitions, the outfielder has been out since early March with a left leg strain. Combined with center fielder Adam Eaton's injury, Ross' absence has left the team rather thin in the outfield.
But that may soon change, as Ross is working his way back, with a stop at Single-A Visalia earlier in the week.
"He'll join our Reno club Friday and Saturday, be back here on Sunday, and if all goes well probably be activated when we go to New York," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "So he's coming along well, and he's running at 90 to 95 percent, and that was the big thing."
Ross hit .267 with 22 home runs and 81 RBI for the Boston Red Sox last year, so he has some familiarity with the Yankees, who the D-backs open a series with next Tuesday. However, he hit just .156 with two RBI in 32 at-bats in Yankee Stadium, so it may not be a park he's anxious to take some swings in.
Then again, at this point chances are good Ross will be excited just to be back on the field with the big league team.
"He was saying it's a little tough to hit down there in A-ball, when the ball's all over the place, you don't know where it's going to go," Towers said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.