Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 6:30 pm
D-backs GM: Cody Ross could be ready for New York trip
One of the team's big offseason acquisitions, the outfielder has been out since early March with a left leg strain. Combined with center fielder Adam Eaton's injury, Ross' absence has left the team rather thin in the outfield.
But that may soon change, as Ross is working his way back, with a stop at Single-A Visalia earlier in the week.
"He'll join our Reno club Friday and Saturday, be back here on Sunday, and if all goes well probably be activated when we go to New York," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "So he's coming along well, and he's running at 90 to 95 percent, and that was the big thing."
Ross hit .267 with 22 home runs and 81 RBI for the Boston Red Sox last year, so he has some familiarity with the Yankees, who the D-backs open a series with next Tuesday. However, he hit just .156 with two RBI in 32 at-bats in Yankee Stadium, so it may not be a park he's anxious to take some swings in.
Then again, at this point chances are good Ross will be excited just to be back on the field with the big league team.
"He was saying it's a little tough to hit down there in A-ball, when the ball's all over the place, you don't know where it's going to go," Towers said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.