Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 6:30 pm
D-backs GM: Cody Ross could be ready for New York trip
One of the team's big offseason acquisitions, the outfielder has been out since early March with a left leg strain. Combined with center fielder Adam Eaton's injury, Ross' absence has left the team rather thin in the outfield.
But that may soon change, as Ross is working his way back, with a stop at Single-A Visalia earlier in the week.
"He'll join our Reno club Friday and Saturday, be back here on Sunday, and if all goes well probably be activated when we go to New York," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "So he's coming along well, and he's running at 90 to 95 percent, and that was the big thing."
Ross hit .267 with 22 home runs and 81 RBI for the Boston Red Sox last year, so he has some familiarity with the Yankees, who the D-backs open a series with next Tuesday. However, he hit just .156 with two RBI in 32 at-bats in Yankee Stadium, so it may not be a park he's anxious to take some swings in.
Then again, at this point chances are good Ross will be excited just to be back on the field with the big league team.
"He was saying it's a little tough to hit down there in A-ball, when the ball's all over the place, you don't know where it's going to go," Towers said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.