Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 6:30 pm
D-backs GM: Cody Ross could be ready for New York trip
One of the team's big offseason acquisitions, the outfielder has been out since early March with a left leg strain. Combined with center fielder Adam Eaton's injury, Ross' absence has left the team rather thin in the outfield.
But that may soon change, as Ross is working his way back, with a stop at Single-A Visalia earlier in the week.
"He'll join our Reno club Friday and Saturday, be back here on Sunday, and if all goes well probably be activated when we go to New York," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "So he's coming along well, and he's running at 90 to 95 percent, and that was the big thing."
Ross hit .267 with 22 home runs and 81 RBI for the Boston Red Sox last year, so he has some familiarity with the Yankees, who the D-backs open a series with next Tuesday. However, he hit just .156 with two RBI in 32 at-bats in Yankee Stadium, so it may not be a park he's anxious to take some swings in.
Then again, at this point chances are good Ross will be excited just to be back on the field with the big league team.
"He was saying it's a little tough to hit down there in A-ball, when the ball's all over the place, you don't know where it's going to go," Towers said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.