Updated Apr 14, 2013 - 12:02 pm
Fantasy Baseball Weekly - Hot Starts
The most important point I wanted to make this week was building towards the future, both for this season and the ones down the road. A lot of people I know participate in "keeper" leagues, which allow you to retain some or all of your players as the seasons continue. When playing in these types of leagues it's always important to stay a step ahead of your competition by researching top prospects and players with statistical anomalies.
This year's top prospects are headlined by Texas Rangers farmhand Jurickson Profar. His brief stint in the MLB last September wasn't quite enough to land him an Opening Day roster spot but he'll be a household name before you know it. As far as the statistically gifted players go, Billy Hamilton is the best I've ever seen. He stole over 150 bases last season in the minors and has seven already this year in almost as many games. Not only was that a professional baseball record, but it's about 20 SBs more than the 2012 category leader from my fantasy league.
Again, 20 more steals than the league leader's entire team. That can win you a championship. This year Yahoo! leagues added an "NA" spot to their rosters. Much like the "DL" slot, the player who fills that space does not count as a member of your active roster. This presents a very easy opportunity to stash a prospect for the future, whether that's next month or next season.
Stay tuned for more episodes of Fantasy Baseball Weekly and be sure to tweet me questions @FanBallWeekly or post on the wall at facebook.com/FanBallWeekly.
I love you all except I'm getting sick of whoever keeps putting Yankees/Red Sox games on ESPN. Enough...please.
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.