Updated Apr 14, 2013 - 12:02 pm
Fantasy Baseball Weekly - Hot Starts
The most important point I wanted to make this week was building towards the future, both for this season and the ones down the road. A lot of people I know participate in "keeper" leagues, which allow you to retain some or all of your players as the seasons continue. When playing in these types of leagues it's always important to stay a step ahead of your competition by researching top prospects and players with statistical anomalies.
This year's top prospects are headlined by Texas Rangers farmhand Jurickson Profar. His brief stint in the MLB last September wasn't quite enough to land him an Opening Day roster spot but he'll be a household name before you know it. As far as the statistically gifted players go, Billy Hamilton is the best I've ever seen. He stole over 150 bases last season in the minors and has seven already this year in almost as many games. Not only was that a professional baseball record, but it's about 20 SBs more than the 2012 category leader from my fantasy league.
Again, 20 more steals than the league leader's entire team. That can win you a championship. This year Yahoo! leagues added an "NA" spot to their rosters. Much like the "DL" slot, the player who fills that space does not count as a member of your active roster. This presents a very easy opportunity to stash a prospect for the future, whether that's next month or next season.
Stay tuned for more episodes of Fantasy Baseball Weekly and be sure to tweet me questions @FanBallWeekly or post on the wall at facebook.com/FanBallWeekly.
I love you all except I'm getting sick of whoever keeps putting Yankees/Red Sox games on ESPN. Enough...please.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?