Updated Apr 14, 2013 - 12:02 pm
Fantasy Baseball Weekly - Hot Starts
The most important point I wanted to make this week was building towards the future, both for this season and the ones down the road. A lot of people I know participate in "keeper" leagues, which allow you to retain some or all of your players as the seasons continue. When playing in these types of leagues it's always important to stay a step ahead of your competition by researching top prospects and players with statistical anomalies.
This year's top prospects are headlined by Texas Rangers farmhand Jurickson Profar. His brief stint in the MLB last September wasn't quite enough to land him an Opening Day roster spot but he'll be a household name before you know it. As far as the statistically gifted players go, Billy Hamilton is the best I've ever seen. He stole over 150 bases last season in the minors and has seven already this year in almost as many games. Not only was that a professional baseball record, but it's about 20 SBs more than the 2012 category leader from my fantasy league.
Again, 20 more steals than the league leader's entire team. That can win you a championship. This year Yahoo! leagues added an "NA" spot to their rosters. Much like the "DL" slot, the player who fills that space does not count as a member of your active roster. This presents a very easy opportunity to stash a prospect for the future, whether that's next month or next season.
Stay tuned for more episodes of Fantasy Baseball Weekly and be sure to tweet me questions @FanBallWeekly or post on the wall at facebook.com/FanBallWeekly.
I love you all except I'm getting sick of whoever keeps putting Yankees/Red Sox games on ESPN. Enough...please.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.