Updated Apr 15, 2013 - 9:03 am
D-backs leaning on Martin Prado's versatility
Saturday night alone, he played three positions.
Prado started the game at third, and then moved to second in the eighth inning, before finally landing at shortstop in the ninth.
Sunday afternoon wasn't a whole lot different, as he started the contest in left field before replacing Aaron Hill at second base in the top of the fifth inning.
"Prado got to play every position he played in Little League," manager Kirk Gibson joked after Saturday's game.
Over his eight seasons in the big leagues, Prado has played every infield position and two of the three outfield positions (he has not played center field).
Prado's ability to play multiple positions is one of the reasons why the Diamondbacks not only acquired the 29-year-old in the deal that sent two-time All-Star Justin Upton to the Atlanta Braves, but then signed him to four-year, 40-million dollar contract.
The Diamondbacks value his versatility.
"‘You like to play short, right?'" Gibson said he asked Prado during the game. "He goes, ‘Just put me in.' that's what he said. You try to give him a heads up if you can. But I do know that I have his versatility. I do know that if I ever want to put it on anybody, he's the perfect guy to put it on."
Prado has spent much of his time this season playing third base, but injuries to Adam Eaton and Cody Ross have necessitated him playing five games in left field.
"I didn't think he'd play as much outfield as he has," Gibson said. "But again, there are certain things that have triggered that.
"He sets a great example for his teammates."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.