Updated Apr 14, 2013 - 5:16 pm
In a pinch, D-backs hitters are finding success
Perhaps he shouldn't try.
Diamondbacks pinch hitters are 7-for-19 (.368) with two doubles, one home run and six RBI in the first 12 games of the 2013 season.
Hinske is responsible for three of those hits, including a home run (the 11th inning game-winner at Milwaukee on April 7) and four runs driven in.
"You just go out there and try to have a professional at-bat and sometimes you get hits, sometimes you don't," he said.
Recently, there have been more hits than outs.
Saturday, pinch hitters went 3-for-4 with three RBI. Hinske and Eric Chavez both singled in the seventh to drive in runs. Aaron Hill doubled home a run in the eighth, while Wil Nieves lined out in the ninth.
"I'm still learning," said Hinske, 60-for-270 (.222) in his career as a pinch hitter. "You never ever have it figured out."
He said he begins to "get ready for a minute of work" in the fourth inning, getting himself both physically and mentally prepared. Then, he waits for his number to be called.
"Guys have experience; good frames of mind," manager Kirk Gibson said. "(Hinske's) got 11 years of experience. Chavez, 14 years of experience. It definitely helps.
"Then they just prepared properly," Gibson continued. "We started on it in spring training, bringing them off the bench. Just keep them ready and they're well prepared to do that."
In 2012, D-backs pinch hitters batted .233 (49-for-210) with three home runs and 20 RBI.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.