Updated Apr 14, 2013 - 5:16 pm
In a pinch, D-backs hitters are finding success
Perhaps he shouldn't try.
Diamondbacks pinch hitters are 7-for-19 (.368) with two doubles, one home run and six RBI in the first 12 games of the 2013 season.
Hinske is responsible for three of those hits, including a home run (the 11th inning game-winner at Milwaukee on April 7) and four runs driven in.
"You just go out there and try to have a professional at-bat and sometimes you get hits, sometimes you don't," he said.
Recently, there have been more hits than outs.
Saturday, pinch hitters went 3-for-4 with three RBI. Hinske and Eric Chavez both singled in the seventh to drive in runs. Aaron Hill doubled home a run in the eighth, while Wil Nieves lined out in the ninth.
"I'm still learning," said Hinske, 60-for-270 (.222) in his career as a pinch hitter. "You never ever have it figured out."
He said he begins to "get ready for a minute of work" in the fourth inning, getting himself both physically and mentally prepared. Then, he waits for his number to be called.
"Guys have experience; good frames of mind," manager Kirk Gibson said. "(Hinske's) got 11 years of experience. Chavez, 14 years of experience. It definitely helps.
"Then they just prepared properly," Gibson continued. "We started on it in spring training, bringing them off the bench. Just keep them ready and they're well prepared to do that."
In 2012, D-backs pinch hitters batted .233 (49-for-210) with three home runs and 20 RBI.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.