Updated Apr 16, 2013 - 12:40 pm
D-backs place 2B Aaron Hill on the DL, reinstate SS Didi Gregorius
Hill originally suffered the injury after being hit by a James McDonald pitch on April 9 vs. Pittsburgh. He took a few days off and returned on April 13 -- even collecting a double in one at-bat -- but left during the middle of the next day's game.
"I was very disappointed [Monday] when I learned the extent of my hand injury," said Hill. "I am going to take some time off from baseball activities to let the break heal before starting the rehab process. I am committed to do everything in my power to return to the lineup as soon as possible."
The 31-year-old is batting .306 with three doubles, two home runs and six RBI in 10 games.
"It is really unfortunate to lose not only a talented baseball player but a tremendous teammate in Aaron Hill for the near future," D-backs GM Kevin Towers said. "We are confident that the depth we have in the middle infield will serve us well while Aaron recovers."
In a corresponding move, the Diamondbacks have reinstated shortstop Didi Gregorius from the disabled list.
Acquired by the Diamondbacks in the deal that sent Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians, the 23-year-old was hitting .387 with two doubles, two home runs and two RBI in seven rehab games with Triple-A Reno.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.