Updated Apr 16, 2013 - 1:05 pm
D-backs' Kirk Gibson outlines Aaron Hill's recovery timetable
Hill was hit on the hand by a James McDonald pitch in the fifth inning of a 6-5 loss to the Pittsburgh last Tuesday. The 31-year-old missed the next two games and returned Saturday deliver a pinch-hit RBI double in a loss to the Dodgers.
Hill was back in the lineup Sunday, but left after one at-bat.
"He checked his swing on Sunday and kind of felt a little pain in his hand in the spot where he got hurt," manager Kirk Gibson told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "He just came up to me and told me 'I can't swing,' so I asked if he could play a little defense and give me a chance to get (A.J. Pollock) loosened up."
Hill was off to a solid start this season, batting .306 (11-for-36) with two home runs, six RBI and had struck out only once in 42 plate appearances.
"They did a CT scan on him an it showed a little surface crack in one of the bones in the back of his hand," Gibson said. "Probably two weeks in a soft cast, he'll probably start light swinging in three weeks, and hopefully we'll get him back shortly after that."
Hill was a stalwart in the D-backs' lineup a year ago when he hit 26 home runs, drove in 85 runs and hit .306 -- statistics good enough to earn him the National League Silver Slugger Award for second basemen.
"It's a big loss to lose Aaron Hill for four-to-six weeks, but our mindset is going to be we've got to cover up until he can get healthy and get back," Gibson said. "And I feel that we will."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.