Updated Apr 17, 2013 - 8:52 pm
D-backs GM: A.J. Pollock is a player who 'just grows on you'
A fourth outfielder at best, the team most certainly would have preferred to begin the season with some combination of Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton, Cody Ross and Gerardo Parra in the outfield, leaving no room for the former first round pick.
Yet, injuries to Eaton, Kubel and Ross have forced the team into playing Pollock, and all he's done is deliver to the tune of a .308 average with two home runs and eight RBI.
As Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday, this is why he has brought in outfielders the last two seasons when it seemed like there was no need at the position.
"You need depth, and depth is really big," he said. "I think that's what's kind of kept us afloat, is our depth."
"He's a great player," Towers said. "He's one of those guys, they always talk about our top prospects and they usually never bring his name up. Not from us, he's kind of always been on our radar screen, we've just had so many outfielders, it's been tough to get him the time up here and the at bats."
Towers said Pollock is the type of player who "just grows on you," because he can do a little bit of everything at the plate and is as solid as they come defensively.
Then again, this was not necessarily in the plans.
Pollock hit .247 with two home runs and eight RBI last season in 81 at bats, and while he is with the big league club for a reason, there were no designs on having him be an every day contributor. But circumstances have dictated a different course, and it's worked out pretty well so far.
"It's just nice that he's gotten an opportunity, he's taken great advantage of it," Towers said. "I think this experience up here, playing and performing, is only going to make him better in the future."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.