Mandela art event in NYC seeks public's quotes
NEW YORK (AP) - The public is invited to share their own inspirational quotes at a Times Square event tied to a video installation of Nelson Mandela's speeches.
Organizers say the leader's grandsons, Kweku (KWAY'-koo) and Ndaba (nehn-DAH'-bah) Mandela, will attend the late-night event in New York City. It starts at 11:15 p.m. Friday.
It's an audience-participation moment for a 3-minute video that's being shown all month, just before midnight.
People can write down their quotes. Then they can share the quotes with other participants or donate them to a digital gallery called Midnight Moment.
Mandela was South Africa's first black president from 1994 to 1999. He turns 95 in July.
The project is a collaboration of Times Square Arts, the Tribeca Film Institute and the Nelson Mandela Foundation.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?