Updated Apr 19, 2013 - 8:16 am
D-backs win over Yankees big for last two GMs
Patrick Corbin is the only great trade in MLB history ever pulled off by a GM that worked out great for his employer -- yet the GM hates the trade.
Granted, I've never asked Jerry Dipoto if he hates the trade, but I can assume he does. He was the interim GM for the D-Backs after the firing of Josh Byrnes. He traded Dan Haren to the Angels for Patrick Corbin and Tyler Skaggs. Now, as the GM of the Angels, he must be kicking himself for pulling off the trade since he doesn't have Haren, Corbin or Skaggs. Corbin has looked great this year and was great against the Yankees.
The two biggest moves by current GM Kevin Towers this off-season were the Upton and Bauer trades. In the Bauer trade, the major piece was Didi Gregorius. Gregorius leads the Major Leagues with a 1.200 slugging percentage. OK, he's not eligible for the batting title which is the same barometer that's used for all eligibility requirements, but going 2-for-5 is pretty strong. Becoming the first D-Back to homer on the first pitch you see as a Major Leaguer is very impressive.
The Upton trade brought Martin Prado (and company). So far, the trade is very one-sided in favor of the Braves. In this game, however, the D-Backs don't win without Prado's solo home run and stellar defense. Plus, only two players in the whole game saw more pitches than Prado.
The Haren trade has already been proven to be a huge win for the D-Backs. There's a long way to go to weigh the last two big moves from Towers. For one night, the last two GMs got the win.
Doug Franz, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.