Updated Apr 19, 2013 - 1:20 pm
Didi Gregorius has impressive D-backs debut
Didi Gregorius hit a home run in his first at bat off of Yankees starter Phil Hughes, and then doubled in his second at bat against the hurler. It was his first big league homer.
Gregorius, who finished 2-for-5 on the night, also played stellar defense as the Diamondbacks earned a 6-2 win in extra innings.
"It's every kid's dream to be able to play in this stadium," Gregorius told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. "I got a chance and I hit a home run, too. It was really exciting for me."
This was not Gregorius' Major League debut, as that came with the Cincinnati Reds last season. But as far as first impressions with a new team can go, it would have been tough for the 23-year-old to do any better.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.