Updated Apr 19, 2013 - 9:58 pm
Grit Index: D-backs' bats silenced in loss to Rockies
Ian Kennedy made one bad pitch Friday night, but it was one too many at Coors Field.
Kennedy hung a fastball to Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and the two-time All-Star made him pay. Tulowitzki's two-run shot in the fourth inning proved to be the difference, as the Rockies behind a strong outing from Jhoulys Chacin shut down the D-backs 3-1.
Despite taking the loss, Ian Kennedy threw the ball fairly well Friday. The D-backs ace gave up three hits and struck out six over six innings of work,
Kennedy, however, moves to 1-2 to start 2013.
Didi Gregorius also had his second straight two-hit performance for the D-backs.
The D-backs offense never really got going Friday night in the Mile High City. Arizona's lone offensive threat came in the top of the fifth inning, but following back-to-back singles by A.J. Pollock and Didi Gregorius and walk to Cliff Pennington, Ian Kennedy grounded out to the frame.
The D-backs lone run came on an error in the ninth inning.
He Said It:
"No one is out there trying to walk somebody. That's one of the things we pride ourselves on. In the past few years, we've been one of the more efficient teams with that." -- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson on Ian Kennedy's three walks vs. Rockies
• Chacin, who struck out five batters over 6 1/3 innings, left the game in the seventh inning with an apparent lower body injury.
• Paul Goldschmidt's 15-game streak of reaching base ended Friday. He went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.
• Coors Field has quickly become one of the better home field advantages in 2013. The Rockies are 7-0 at home this season.
The D-backs continue their three-game series with the Rockies Saturday night. Right-hander Trevor Cahill will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by left-hander Jorge De La Rosa of the Rockies. First pitch is set for 5:10 p.m.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.