Updated Apr 21, 2013 - 9:01 am
Fantasy Baseball Weekly - Who's not but still has a shot
Obviously you won't drop guys like Matt Kemp or Giancarlo Stanton. Their upside for the rest of the season, despite Mendoza-like production early on is incredibly high. When it comes to someone like Royals 3B Mike Moustakas, it's time you call him into your office and cut his .163 BA from your team. There are plenty of better options out there for you, most notably Atlanta Braves 1B/3B Chris Johnson. D-Backs fans remember him as the guy who hit a ton of homers after being traded here and then did nothing for the rest of the season. Fantasy Baseball owners know him as a very streaky yet still valuable hitter. His double position eligibility makes him a nice add.
If you'd like gamble with the equivalent of a Fantasy lottery ticket, you can pick up Nationals 3B prospect Anthony Rendon. He was called up on Saturday and starts playing Sunday. Manager Davey Johnson has said Rendon will start at third as long as Ryan Zimmerman is on the DL with his hamstring strain. His average at AA-Harrisburg this season was just that, average, at .292. Last season over 46 games and four different levels of the low minors, he hit just .233 with six HRs and 12 RBI. If you're a Zimmerman owner or are desperate for a third baseman, it can't hurt to add Rendon -- just have a back up plan and don't be surprised if he's one for his first ten.
Finally, an update from last week. My super pick up Hisashi Iwakuma of Seattle dazzled again, but was removed after six scoreless innings and 70 pitches due to a bothersome blood blister. The M's would end up beating Justin Verlander and the Tigers 2-0 thanks to the pitching of Iwakuma. He says he'll be ready for his next start but keep an eye out for any word of a skipped start this week.
I love you all except that fat moron in Texas who ran onto the grass in center field, reached over the railing, took a likely catch away from Franklin Gutierrez, and then Gangnam Styled. Just...no.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.