Updated Apr 21, 2013 - 9:01 am
Fantasy Baseball Weekly - Who's not but still has a shot
Obviously you won't drop guys like Matt Kemp or Giancarlo Stanton. Their upside for the rest of the season, despite Mendoza-like production early on is incredibly high. When it comes to someone like Royals 3B Mike Moustakas, it's time you call him into your office and cut his .163 BA from your team. There are plenty of better options out there for you, most notably Atlanta Braves 1B/3B Chris Johnson. D-Backs fans remember him as the guy who hit a ton of homers after being traded here and then did nothing for the rest of the season. Fantasy Baseball owners know him as a very streaky yet still valuable hitter. His double position eligibility makes him a nice add.
If you'd like gamble with the equivalent of a Fantasy lottery ticket, you can pick up Nationals 3B prospect Anthony Rendon. He was called up on Saturday and starts playing Sunday. Manager Davey Johnson has said Rendon will start at third as long as Ryan Zimmerman is on the DL with his hamstring strain. His average at AA-Harrisburg this season was just that, average, at .292. Last season over 46 games and four different levels of the low minors, he hit just .233 with six HRs and 12 RBI. If you're a Zimmerman owner or are desperate for a third baseman, it can't hurt to add Rendon -- just have a back up plan and don't be surprised if he's one for his first ten.
Finally, an update from last week. My super pick up Hisashi Iwakuma of Seattle dazzled again, but was removed after six scoreless innings and 70 pitches due to a bothersome blood blister. The M's would end up beating Justin Verlander and the Tigers 2-0 thanks to the pitching of Iwakuma. He says he'll be ready for his next start but keep an eye out for any word of a skipped start this week.
I love you all except that fat moron in Texas who ran onto the grass in center field, reached over the railing, took a likely catch away from Franklin Gutierrez, and then Gangnam Styled. Just...no.
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.