Diaz, Erdrich among finalists for Carnegie prize
NEW YORK (AP) - Junot Diaz and Louise Erdrich are among the finalists for a literary prize chosen by the American Library Association.
Diaz's "This Is How You Lose Her" and Erdrich's "The Round House" are nominees for the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction. Also contending for the $5,000 award is Richard Ford's "Canada."
Finalists for the nonfiction category, also worth $5,000, are Jill Lepore's "The Mansion of Happiness," Timothy Egan's "Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher" and David Quammen's "Spillover."
The library association announced the nominees Monday. Medals will be given to the winners June 30 at the association's annual conference in Chicago. Established in 2012, the awards are made possible by a grant from the Carnegie Corp.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.