Diaz, Erdrich among finalists for Carnegie prize
NEW YORK (AP) - Junot Diaz and Louise Erdrich are among the finalists for a literary prize chosen by the American Library Association.
Diaz's "This Is How You Lose Her" and Erdrich's "The Round House" are nominees for the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction. Also contending for the $5,000 award is Richard Ford's "Canada."
Finalists for the nonfiction category, also worth $5,000, are Jill Lepore's "The Mansion of Happiness," Timothy Egan's "Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher" and David Quammen's "Spillover."
The library association announced the nominees Monday. Medals will be given to the winners June 30 at the association's annual conference in Chicago. Established in 2012, the awards are made possible by a grant from the Carnegie Corp.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.