BBC plans 'Tweet of the Day,' radio for birds
LONDON (AP) - Remember when tweeting was for the birds?
The BBC is hoping to revive that simpler time with "Tweet of the Day"- an early-morning radio program dedicated to British birdsong.
The broadcaster announced Wednesday that veteran naturalist David Attenborough will host the 90-second show, which will feature the song of a different bird each weekday, along with background on the species' behavior, habits and place in literature and folklore.
Attenborough, who has traveled the world for documentary series including "Planet Earth" and "Frozen Planet," said he was delighted to be involved in something closer to home.
"I've seen some of the most incredible animals on my travels around the world, but `Tweet Of The Day' is a nice reminder of the teeming world of birds on my doorstep," he said.
The show on the BBC's main speech station, Radio 4, may be best appreciated by those who rise with the birds. "Tweet of the Day" will be broadcast at 5:58 a.m.
The BBC said 265 different birds will be featured during the year-long series, which begins May 6 with a recording of the cuckoo and moves on to song thrushes, swifts and wood warblers.
Attenborough will host for the first month, and be followed by other BBC presenters.
As this is the 21st century, "Tweet of the Day" will be available online- and will be promoted on Twitter, under the hashtag "r4tweet."
Tweet of the Day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s6xyk
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.