BBC plans 'Tweet of the Day,' radio for birds
LONDON (AP) - Remember when tweeting was for the birds?
The BBC is hoping to revive that simpler time with "Tweet of the Day"- an early-morning radio program dedicated to British birdsong.
The broadcaster announced Wednesday that veteran naturalist David Attenborough will host the 90-second show, which will feature the song of a different bird each weekday, along with background on the species' behavior, habits and place in literature and folklore.
Attenborough, who has traveled the world for documentary series including "Planet Earth" and "Frozen Planet," said he was delighted to be involved in something closer to home.
"I've seen some of the most incredible animals on my travels around the world, but `Tweet Of The Day' is a nice reminder of the teeming world of birds on my doorstep," he said.
The show on the BBC's main speech station, Radio 4, may be best appreciated by those who rise with the birds. "Tweet of the Day" will be broadcast at 5:58 a.m.
The BBC said 265 different birds will be featured during the year-long series, which begins May 6 with a recording of the cuckoo and moves on to song thrushes, swifts and wood warblers.
Attenborough will host for the first month, and be followed by other BBC presenters.
As this is the 21st century, "Tweet of the Day" will be available online- and will be promoted on Twitter, under the hashtag "r4tweet."
Tweet of the Day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s6xyk
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.