Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 5:37 pm
Adam Eaton staying patient while anticipating return
Though projected to be the Diamondbacks' everyday centerfielder and leadoff man, Eaton began the season on the disabled list with a left elbow strain he suffered midway through spring training.
So far, eagerness has been the hardest thing to cope with during the 24-year-old's DL stint.
"(On a scale of 1-10), I was a 10 in eagerness the day I got hurt," Eaton said before Friday's game against the division-rival Rockies. "It's tough. As a rookie, on Opening Day you want to be out there contributing but instead you're on the disabled list."
And while the Diamondbacks' outfield has been solid in Eaton's absence, his skill on the bases is sorely missed. Entering play on Friday, no team has been less efficient at stealing bases than the Diamondbacks, who are tied for both the fewest stolen bases (5) and the most times caught stealing (7). Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock account for all of the team's stolen bases.
In 319 minor league games, Eaton swiped 98 bases. Last season, he tallied 44 of those while only being caught stealing 11 times in separate stints with Double-A Mobile and Triple-A Reno.
"When I get back, I just want to do what I do," Eaton said. "I want to try to get back in the lineup, be a catalyst at the top of the order. Get on base, wreak some havoc, score some runs."
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.