Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 5:37 pm
Adam Eaton staying patient while anticipating return
Though projected to be the Diamondbacks' everyday centerfielder and leadoff man, Eaton began the season on the disabled list with a left elbow strain he suffered midway through spring training.
So far, eagerness has been the hardest thing to cope with during the 24-year-old's DL stint.
"(On a scale of 1-10), I was a 10 in eagerness the day I got hurt," Eaton said before Friday's game against the division-rival Rockies. "It's tough. As a rookie, on Opening Day you want to be out there contributing but instead you're on the disabled list."
And while the Diamondbacks' outfield has been solid in Eaton's absence, his skill on the bases is sorely missed. Entering play on Friday, no team has been less efficient at stealing bases than the Diamondbacks, who are tied for both the fewest stolen bases (5) and the most times caught stealing (7). Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock account for all of the team's stolen bases.
In 319 minor league games, Eaton swiped 98 bases. Last season, he tallied 44 of those while only being caught stealing 11 times in separate stints with Double-A Mobile and Triple-A Reno.
"When I get back, I just want to do what I do," Eaton said. "I want to try to get back in the lineup, be a catalyst at the top of the order. Get on base, wreak some havoc, score some runs."
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.