Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 5:37 pm
Adam Eaton staying patient while anticipating return
Though projected to be the Diamondbacks' everyday centerfielder and leadoff man, Eaton began the season on the disabled list with a left elbow strain he suffered midway through spring training.
So far, eagerness has been the hardest thing to cope with during the 24-year-old's DL stint.
"(On a scale of 1-10), I was a 10 in eagerness the day I got hurt," Eaton said before Friday's game against the division-rival Rockies. "It's tough. As a rookie, on Opening Day you want to be out there contributing but instead you're on the disabled list."
And while the Diamondbacks' outfield has been solid in Eaton's absence, his skill on the bases is sorely missed. Entering play on Friday, no team has been less efficient at stealing bases than the Diamondbacks, who are tied for both the fewest stolen bases (5) and the most times caught stealing (7). Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock account for all of the team's stolen bases.
In 319 minor league games, Eaton swiped 98 bases. Last season, he tallied 44 of those while only being caught stealing 11 times in separate stints with Double-A Mobile and Triple-A Reno.
"When I get back, I just want to do what I do," Eaton said. "I want to try to get back in the lineup, be a catalyst at the top of the order. Get on base, wreak some havoc, score some runs."
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.