Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 10:40 pm
Grit Index: McCarthy struggles continue in D-backs' loss to Rockies
The D-backs bullpen was able to come in and carry the load after McCarthy left the game. Tony Sipp, Brad Ziegler and Matt Reynolds pitched the seventh, eighth and ninth innings while allowing no runs on two hits. Heading into Friday night's game, Arizona's bullpen owned a 2.57 ERA, good for seventh in the league.
Starter Brandon McCarthy's struggles continue. After five starts this season he's 0-3 with a 7.48 ERA. Friday against the Rockies he lasted six innings but gave up six earned runs on nine hits with one home run and seven strikeouts. Opponents are currently hitting .360 off the 29-year-old compared to .267 in 2012.
• Shortstop Didi Gregorius left the game in the seventh inning after getting hit in the head with a 93 MPH fastball thrown by Josh Outman. Gregorius was on the ground for a few minutes before walking off the field under his own power. The D-backs announced that Didi suffered a right temple contusion and will undergo additional tests. He is day to day.
• Despite Arizona's offensive struggles Friday night, Gerardo Parra managed to extend his hitting streak to a career-high 11 straight games. Parra was once again in the leadoff spot and went 1-for-3 with two walks, a double and a run scored. Parra has reached base safely in 22 of 23 games and is now hitting .315 on the season.
• Reliever Matt Reynolds continues to do good work. He pitched a scoreless ninth and has fourteen consecutive scoreless innings dating back to 2012.
He Said It:
"I can really think about two bad pitches tonight that I'd like to have back. It's the Tulo (Troy Tulowitzki) one and the home run. It's just kind of the same thing, I still don't feel like I threw anything near what the numbers said, I feel like I threw well. Did most of the things I need to do but for whatever reason, results-wise, it's just not there." -- Starter Brandon McCarthy
The D-backs return to Chase Field to play the Rockies in the third game of their four-game series on Saturday afternoon. It'll be a battle of lefties between Wade Miley and Jeff Francis. Miley is 2-0 on the season with a 2.77 ERA and Francis owns a 1-2 record with an ERA of 8.44. First pitch is at 5:10pm on Arizona Sports 620.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.