D-backs place SS Didi Gregorius on DL, activate OF Jason Kubel
The Arizona Diamondbacks placed shortstop Didi Gregorius on the 7-day disabled list with a mild concussion, retroactive to April 27. In a corresponding roster move, the D-backs activated outfielder Jason Kubel from the 15-day DL prior to Sunday's game against the Colorado Rockies.
Gregorius got hit in the head with a 93 MPH fastball thrown by Josh Outman in the seventh inning of the D-backs' 6-3 loss on Friday night. The 23-year-old had tests run Sunday morning and the team opted to disable him.
The D-backs' shortstop has hit .407 with two home runs and two RBI in 27 at-bats this season.
Kubel was put on the disabled list with a strained left quad on April 13, after suffering the injury on April 5 against the Brewers in Milwaukee.
The veteran outfielder hit .333 with two home runs and six RBI in 30 at-bats this season. Kubel went 3-for-4 with a home run in an extended spring training game on Saturday.
The 30-year-old was set to play in rehab games on Monday and Tuesday at Triple-A Reno, but the D-backs opted instead to reinstate Kubel early.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.