Drama Desk Award nominations are unveiled
NEW YORK (AP) - The off-Broadway show "Giant" and the quickly shuttered Broadway musical "Hands on a Hardbody" lead the Drama Desk nomination race this season, with the British import "Matilda," the audience-friendly "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" and a revival of Stephen Sondheim's "Passion" close behind.
"Giant," based on the 1952 Edna Ferber novel of the same name, made its off-Broadway premiere at the Public Theater this winter. "Hands on a Hardbody" is a show with songs co-written by Phish founder Trey Anastasio based on a documentary film. Both earned nine nominations Monday. "Matilda," "Passion" and "Drood" each captured seven.
Shows with six nominations are "A Christmas Story: The Musical," "Chaplin: The Musical," "Pippin" and "The Other Josh Cohen."
The Drama Desk, an organization of theater journalists and critics, honors both Broadway and off-Broadway productions.
The awards will be presented May 19 at The Town Hall.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.