Drama Desk Award nominations are unveiled
NEW YORK (AP) - The off-Broadway show "Giant" and the quickly shuttered Broadway musical "Hands on a Hardbody" lead the Drama Desk nomination race this season, with the British import "Matilda," the audience-friendly "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" and a revival of Stephen Sondheim's "Passion" close behind.
"Giant," based on the 1952 Edna Ferber novel of the same name, made its off-Broadway premiere at the Public Theater this winter. "Hands on a Hardbody" is a show with songs co-written by Phish founder Trey Anastasio based on a documentary film. Both earned nine nominations Monday. "Matilda," "Passion" and "Drood" each captured seven.
Shows with six nominations are "A Christmas Story: The Musical," "Chaplin: The Musical," "Pippin" and "The Other Josh Cohen."
The Drama Desk, an organization of theater journalists and critics, honors both Broadway and off-Broadway productions.
The awards will be presented May 19 at The Town Hall.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.