Updated Apr 30, 2013 - 8:57 am
Tyler Skaggs' struggles continuing in Triple-A
After falling short in his quest to fill the D-backs' fifth starter role, he was optioned to Triple-A Reno.
It's still early, but the 21-year-old is struggling in the minors. Skaggs gave up eight runs -- five earned -- and nine hits in just 4.2 innings of work in a 9-5 loss to the Las Vegas 51's Monday night in Reno.
After opening the season by hurling six scoreless innings in a 14-1 win over Colorado Springs April 7, Skaggs has been roughed up pretty good by Pacific Coast League hitters. In his last four starts, Skaggs has given up 18 runs in 20.1 innings (7.97 ERA) while allowing 25 hits.
Interestingly, despite the number of runs he's given up, Skaggs has yet to allow a home run in 26.1 innings of work and left-handed hitters are hitting .292 against him -- versus a .250 mark by right-handers.
In nine starts (52.2 innings) at the Triple-A level last season, Skaggs went 4-2 with a 2.91 ERA.
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.