Updated Apr 30, 2013 - 8:57 am
Tyler Skaggs' struggles continuing in Triple-A
After falling short in his quest to fill the D-backs' fifth starter role, he was optioned to Triple-A Reno.
It's still early, but the 21-year-old is struggling in the minors. Skaggs gave up eight runs -- five earned -- and nine hits in just 4.2 innings of work in a 9-5 loss to the Las Vegas 51's Monday night in Reno.
After opening the season by hurling six scoreless innings in a 14-1 win over Colorado Springs April 7, Skaggs has been roughed up pretty good by Pacific Coast League hitters. In his last four starts, Skaggs has given up 18 runs in 20.1 innings (7.97 ERA) while allowing 25 hits.
Interestingly, despite the number of runs he's given up, Skaggs has yet to allow a home run in 26.1 innings of work and left-handed hitters are hitting .292 against him -- versus a .250 mark by right-handers.
In nine starts (52.2 innings) at the Triple-A level last season, Skaggs went 4-2 with a 2.91 ERA.
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.