Updated May 1, 2013 - 11:49 am
Putz blows league-high fourth save, Cahill keeps faith in closer
After giving up a two-out, two-run single to Brandon Belt in the eighth inning on Monday night that led to a 6-4 loss, the 'pen rolled over again, only this time in the ninth.
D-backs starter Trevor Cahill was having arguably his best start of the year, allowing just four hits and one earned run through eight shutout innings.
Manager Kirk Gibson pulled Cahill for closer J.J. Putz after his starter allowed an Angel Pagan single to start the ninth, though Putz had already blown an MLB-leading three saves this season.
Putz struck out Marco Scutaro and Buster Posey in the ninth, but it was the 439-foot, two-run blast by Pablo Sandoval in between them that resulted in a 2-1 loss for Putz and the D-backs.
"It just seems like every time I leave one of those (splitters) up it's getting crushed right now," Putz said. "It's very frustrating."
"I made some good pitches on Scutaro, some good pitches on Posey, but the one that Pablo ... it just didn't come out of my hand."
Gibson felt Cahill threw a gem, but was confident turning the ball over to his closer in the ninth.
"You got to play it out," Gibson said. "You got a closer, you're going to go to him (and) expect him to do his job."
That job hasn't been done up to par, as the blown save made it four for Putz and nine for the D-backs bullpen -- also the most of any team in the MLB by three.
Cahill was looking for his second consecutive victory after an 0-3 start to the season.
While he may not have been happy about the result, Cahill knows he'll turn the ball over to Putz again, and trusts he'll get the job done.
"I gave him a pat on the back," Cahill said. "He's not trying to give it up right there. He's doing everything he can. He's going to close it out more times than not, so same situation next time, I'll give him the ball and I'm sure he'll shut it down."
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.