Updated May 1, 2013 - 7:07 pm
Kirk Gibson: 'We'll go to anybody' to save games
In the season's first month, the former has been tested while the latter has been on display, and could continue for the foreseeable future.
Three relievers have recorded at least one save, with closer J.J. Putz leading the way with five.
However, after his most recent appearance, in which he blew his fourth save in nine chances, there is plenty of chatter -— be it from fans or media -— for manager Kirk Gibson to make a change.
"We going to have to talk about this every day," Gibson answered when the question was asked about Putz's availability and status prior to the series finale against San Francisco.
Three minutes later Gibson said "it's possible, yes" Putz may not be available; and if needed, he has a number of options to turn to for the final out of a game.
"Anybody is available," he said. "We closed with (Matt) Reynolds two games in San Francisco. We'll go to anybody. Obviously, David's (Hernandez) got closing experience. Heath Bell's got closing experience. I think it could vary. I would close with (Josh) Collmenter. I've said that more than once. All of our guys are capable."
In terms of experience, Bell, with 154 saves over a ten-year career, makes the most sense.
Some would argue Hernandez would be the most logical choice, considering his experience as the eighth inning setup guy.
Reynolds has been the most effective, albeit with only the two opportunities.
And then there's Collmenter, who is a favorite of Gibson's, but doesn't have any closing experience in his career.
"I think what we have to do here is keep things in perspective," Gibson said as he discussed the bullpen as a whole.
"I'm just going to have to be really alert to not pushing guys like J.J. or anybody else on this staff at this point. We're at May 1st. Maybe in August it's a little different, but this is May 1st."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Arizona Diamondbacks acquire 3 as players to be named later from December trades
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.