Updated May 1, 2013 - 7:07 pm
Kirk Gibson: 'We'll go to anybody' to save games
In the season's first month, the former has been tested while the latter has been on display, and could continue for the foreseeable future.
Three relievers have recorded at least one save, with closer J.J. Putz leading the way with five.
However, after his most recent appearance, in which he blew his fourth save in nine chances, there is plenty of chatter -— be it from fans or media -— for manager Kirk Gibson to make a change.
"We going to have to talk about this every day," Gibson answered when the question was asked about Putz's availability and status prior to the series finale against San Francisco.
Three minutes later Gibson said "it's possible, yes" Putz may not be available; and if needed, he has a number of options to turn to for the final out of a game.
"Anybody is available," he said. "We closed with (Matt) Reynolds two games in San Francisco. We'll go to anybody. Obviously, David's (Hernandez) got closing experience. Heath Bell's got closing experience. I think it could vary. I would close with (Josh) Collmenter. I've said that more than once. All of our guys are capable."
In terms of experience, Bell, with 154 saves over a ten-year career, makes the most sense.
Some would argue Hernandez would be the most logical choice, considering his experience as the eighth inning setup guy.
Reynolds has been the most effective, albeit with only the two opportunities.
And then there's Collmenter, who is a favorite of Gibson's, but doesn't have any closing experience in his career.
"I think what we have to do here is keep things in perspective," Gibson said as he discussed the bullpen as a whole.
"I'm just going to have to be really alert to not pushing guys like J.J. or anybody else on this staff at this point. We're at May 1st. Maybe in August it's a little different, but this is May 1st."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.