Updated May 2, 2013 - 6:02 pm
Will D-backs CEO Derrick Hall be MLB's next commissioner?
Even though his departure is almost 18 months away from becoming a reality, the speculation about his replacement is beginning.
Baseball writer Jayson Stark threw out some names that could be considered during a recent interview with ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike.
"It's possible they could look at guys that are who are team presidents," Stark stated. "For example, Dave Dombrowski in Detroit, Mark Shapiro in Cleveland, maybe Derrick Hall in Arizona, if they're looking for somebody younger."
This is not the first time Hall's name has been thrown out as a possible successor to Selig, who has served in the position since 1992.
Hall joined Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday and addressed Stark's suggestion.
"Other than me, I think he had some great names on there," Hall joked. "I'm one of those that hopes Bud will stay on longer, he's done a terrific job."
But that doesn't mean that Selig, who will be 80 at the end of the 2014 campaign, will stay on the job, meaning Stark's list may have some validity to it.
Hall downplayed the possibility.
"I certainly don't see myself going anywhere, I'm right where I want to be," he said. "I'm not leaving Arizona."
Whomever the new commissioner ends up being, Hall feels it should be a person with a strong background in the sport.
"I like staying within baseball, and I think Bud showed how important that is, and especially somebody that has a team background," he said. "You have to know what the issues and the challenges are for teams and Bud was that -- he was a president, he was an owner.
"I think it makes a lot of sense. We have so many talented people that can fill the vacancy -- they're going to be big shoes to fill, but we have several capable people. I would prefer, personally, for it to be someone inside the game already."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?