Updated May 2, 2013 - 6:02 pm
Will D-backs CEO Derrick Hall be MLB's next commissioner?
Even though his departure is almost 18 months away from becoming a reality, the speculation about his replacement is beginning.
Baseball writer Jayson Stark threw out some names that could be considered during a recent interview with ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike.
"It's possible they could look at guys that are who are team presidents," Stark stated. "For example, Dave Dombrowski in Detroit, Mark Shapiro in Cleveland, maybe Derrick Hall in Arizona, if they're looking for somebody younger."
This is not the first time Hall's name has been thrown out as a possible successor to Selig, who has served in the position since 1992.
Hall joined Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday and addressed Stark's suggestion.
"Other than me, I think he had some great names on there," Hall joked. "I'm one of those that hopes Bud will stay on longer, he's done a terrific job."
But that doesn't mean that Selig, who will be 80 at the end of the 2014 campaign, will stay on the job, meaning Stark's list may have some validity to it.
Hall downplayed the possibility.
"I certainly don't see myself going anywhere, I'm right where I want to be," he said. "I'm not leaving Arizona."
Whomever the new commissioner ends up being, Hall feels it should be a person with a strong background in the sport.
"I like staying within baseball, and I think Bud showed how important that is, and especially somebody that has a team background," he said. "You have to know what the issues and the challenges are for teams and Bud was that -- he was a president, he was an owner.
"I think it makes a lot of sense. We have so many talented people that can fill the vacancy -- they're going to be big shoes to fill, but we have several capable people. I would prefer, personally, for it to be someone inside the game already."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.