Updated May 2, 2013 - 6:02 pm
Will D-backs CEO Derrick Hall be MLB's next commissioner?
Even though his departure is almost 18 months away from becoming a reality, the speculation about his replacement is beginning.
Baseball writer Jayson Stark threw out some names that could be considered during a recent interview with ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike.
"It's possible they could look at guys that are who are team presidents," Stark stated. "For example, Dave Dombrowski in Detroit, Mark Shapiro in Cleveland, maybe Derrick Hall in Arizona, if they're looking for somebody younger."
This is not the first time Hall's name has been thrown out as a possible successor to Selig, who has served in the position since 1992.
Hall joined Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday and addressed Stark's suggestion.
"Other than me, I think he had some great names on there," Hall joked. "I'm one of those that hopes Bud will stay on longer, he's done a terrific job."
But that doesn't mean that Selig, who will be 80 at the end of the 2014 campaign, will stay on the job, meaning Stark's list may have some validity to it.
Hall downplayed the possibility.
"I certainly don't see myself going anywhere, I'm right where I want to be," he said. "I'm not leaving Arizona."
Whomever the new commissioner ends up being, Hall feels it should be a person with a strong background in the sport.
"I like staying within baseball, and I think Bud showed how important that is, and especially somebody that has a team background," he said. "You have to know what the issues and the challenges are for teams and Bud was that -- he was a president, he was an owner.
"I think it makes a lot of sense. We have so many talented people that can fill the vacancy -- they're going to be big shoes to fill, but we have several capable people. I would prefer, personally, for it to be someone inside the game already."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.