Revival of 'Jekyll & Hyde' to close May 12
NEW YORK (AP) - The revival of "Jekyll & Hyde" won't last nearly as long as the original on Broadway.
Producers said Friday the show starring former "American Idol" contestant Constantine Maroulis and singer Deborah Cox will play its final show May 12. It had initially been scheduled to run through June 30.
When it closes, it will have played 15 previews and 30 regular performances at the Marquis Theatre following a 25-week national tour.
"Jekyll & Hyde" made its Broadway debut in 1997 with songs such as "This Is the Moment," "A New Life" and "Someone Like You," earning four Tony nominations. It lasted 1,543 performances.
With music by Frank Wildhorn, it tells the story of a London doctor who unleashes his evil alternate personality in his quest to cure his father's mental illness.
Poorly reviewed, the revival didn't earn a single Tony nomination this week. It joins "The Testament of Mary," "Hands on a Hardbody," "The Anarchist," "Scandalous" and "The Performers" to have short lives on Broadway this season.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.