Critics' Circle names 'Matilda' top musical
NEW YORK (AP) - The New York Drama Critics' Circle has voted "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike" as best play and "Matilda: The Musical" as best musical.
The circle on Friday also handed out special citations to the New York City Center's "Encore!" concert series, to the Soho Rep for a stellar season and to John Lee Beatty for career excellence in scenic design.
Christopher Durang's "Vanya and Sonia" beat out "The Assembled Parties" for best play honor on the fourth ballot. The group chose not to pick a best foreign play recipient. "Matilda" sailed to victory on the first musical ballot.
The Circle is composed of 26 drama critics from daily newspapers, magazines, wire services and websites based in the New York metropolitan area. The Associated Press is a member. Awards have been handed out since 1936, making them the nation's second-oldest theater awards, after the Pulitzer Prize for drama.
This year's awards will be presented at a private ceremony on May 13.
"Matilda" has been nominated for 12 Tony Awards, including best musical, and "Vanya and Sonia" for six, including best play.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.