Updated May 3, 2013 - 4:34 pm
D-backs analyst: Bullpen struggles take a toll on a team
Sure, the D-backs have held late leads, yet they have routinely coughed them up.
"That's the thing that I think a lot of people don't get," Candiotti told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "When the game's over, you lose a game like that at the very end -- you have control of the game, you get a blown save, then you lose the game -- and you walk into that locker room and everyone is fried, they're just mad.
"You're taught as players you don't want to finger point, you're in this as a team, you've got different elements of the team. You know, we're all in this together. But it's a devastating loss when that happens, and then when it's happened a few times it becomes almost to the point you're thinking 'alright, what's going to happen this time?'"
The Diamondbacks are entering their game Friday night with a 15-13 record, which is good enough for third in the NL West. They own a league-worst 10 blown saves, though are 6-4 in those games.
However, the uncertainty now when the game gets handed over to the bullpen is real, and it's not easy to deal with. Because now, Candiotti said, it's tough to be confident that once David Hernandez, J.J. Putz, Heath Bell and company come into the game then the win is practically locked up.
"So far they haven't been lights out this year," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.