Updated May 3, 2013 - 4:34 pm
D-backs analyst: Bullpen struggles take a toll on a team
Sure, the D-backs have held late leads, yet they have routinely coughed them up.
"That's the thing that I think a lot of people don't get," Candiotti told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "When the game's over, you lose a game like that at the very end -- you have control of the game, you get a blown save, then you lose the game -- and you walk into that locker room and everyone is fried, they're just mad.
"You're taught as players you don't want to finger point, you're in this as a team, you've got different elements of the team. You know, we're all in this together. But it's a devastating loss when that happens, and then when it's happened a few times it becomes almost to the point you're thinking 'alright, what's going to happen this time?'"
The Diamondbacks are entering their game Friday night with a 15-13 record, which is good enough for third in the NL West. They own a league-worst 10 blown saves, though are 6-4 in those games.
However, the uncertainty now when the game gets handed over to the bullpen is real, and it's not easy to deal with. Because now, Candiotti said, it's tough to be confident that once David Hernandez, J.J. Putz, Heath Bell and company come into the game then the win is practically locked up.
"So far they haven't been lights out this year," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.