Updated May 3, 2013 - 4:34 pm
D-backs analyst: Bullpen struggles take a toll on a team
Sure, the D-backs have held late leads, yet they have routinely coughed them up.
"That's the thing that I think a lot of people don't get," Candiotti told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "When the game's over, you lose a game like that at the very end -- you have control of the game, you get a blown save, then you lose the game -- and you walk into that locker room and everyone is fried, they're just mad.
"You're taught as players you don't want to finger point, you're in this as a team, you've got different elements of the team. You know, we're all in this together. But it's a devastating loss when that happens, and then when it's happened a few times it becomes almost to the point you're thinking 'alright, what's going to happen this time?'"
The Diamondbacks are entering their game Friday night with a 15-13 record, which is good enough for third in the NL West. They own a league-worst 10 blown saves, though are 6-4 in those games.
However, the uncertainty now when the game gets handed over to the bullpen is real, and it's not easy to deal with. Because now, Candiotti said, it's tough to be confident that once David Hernandez, J.J. Putz, Heath Bell and company come into the game then the win is practically locked up.
"So far they haven't been lights out this year," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.