Updated May 7, 2013 - 2:15 pm
AP Photos: Met Gala fashion highs and lows
NEW YORK (AP) - There were plenty of risk-takers on the Met gala red carpet.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art fundraiser known as "the party of the year" had a red carpet Monday night to rival the Oscars. But with stars on the arms of designers and the theme "Punk: From Chaos to Couture," many braved the chance they'd end up a "don't."
Miley Cyrus (in Marc Jacobs), Anne Hathaway (in Valentino) and Cameron Diaz (in Stella McCartney) were among the celebrities to embrace the punk theme, and Beyonce, the event's honorary chairwoman, seemed the girl on fire in a flame-motif gown by Givenchy's Riccardo Tisci.
Tisci also dressed Rooney Mara- the kind of star who can pull off punk- and a pregnant Kim Kardashian, a less obvious candidate. Kardashian faced insta-critics online for her floral-print, high-neck gown.
The Met gala is largely orchestrated by Anna Wintour, Vogue's editor-in-chief, who acknowledged the edgy theme could have thrown some people off their fashion game.
"I think (punk) is so eclectic and so original and maybe it sort of represents what's very fearless about fashion," she said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Here's who we thought were some of the best and worst dressed.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?