Updated May 7, 2013 - 2:15 pm
AP Photos: Met Gala fashion highs and lows
NEW YORK (AP) - There were plenty of risk-takers on the Met gala red carpet.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art fundraiser known as "the party of the year" had a red carpet Monday night to rival the Oscars. But with stars on the arms of designers and the theme "Punk: From Chaos to Couture," many braved the chance they'd end up a "don't."
Miley Cyrus (in Marc Jacobs), Anne Hathaway (in Valentino) and Cameron Diaz (in Stella McCartney) were among the celebrities to embrace the punk theme, and Beyonce, the event's honorary chairwoman, seemed the girl on fire in a flame-motif gown by Givenchy's Riccardo Tisci.
Tisci also dressed Rooney Mara- the kind of star who can pull off punk- and a pregnant Kim Kardashian, a less obvious candidate. Kardashian faced insta-critics online for her floral-print, high-neck gown.
The Met gala is largely orchestrated by Anna Wintour, Vogue's editor-in-chief, who acknowledged the edgy theme could have thrown some people off their fashion game.
"I think (punk) is so eclectic and so original and maybe it sort of represents what's very fearless about fashion," she said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Here's who we thought were some of the best and worst dressed.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.