Updated May 8, 2013 - 1:41 pm
MLB analyst: Paul Goldschmidt has impressed scouts
Thirty-three games into the campaign, that could not be further from the truth.
They do have a superstar, and his name is Paul Goldschmidt.
The first baseman is hitting .314 with seven home runs and 27 RBI, with an OBP of .411 and an OPS of .956. He's also played excellent defense.
"I spoke to a scout about a week ago, who told me, 'I love Paul Goldschmidt,'" ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
Kurkjian said the scout told him Goldschmidt is a "self-made player" who is not without great ability, but "really works" at his craft.
The 25-year-old is in his second full Major League season -- and third overall -- and has seen his batting average rise each year. Known for his power, Goldschmidt has improved his plate discipline as well as contact rates.
"He's not quite there yet, but he's a very good young power hitter who's going to get even better from here," Kurkjian said. "And I know people around the league just rave at his strength, but they also rave now at his preparation and what it takes to hit in the big leagues."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.