Updated May 8, 2013 - 2:54 pm
D-backs put J.J. Putz on DL; recall Will Harris
Closer J.J. Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list by the club Wednesday and right-handed reliever Will Harris was recalled from Triple-A Reno.
Putz left Tuesday night's win over Los Angeles after issuing a four-pitch walk to Dodgers infielder Nick Punto leading off the ninth inning. He walked off the diamond flexing his right hand and elbow.
Manager Kirk Gibson said following the game that Putz was experiencing elbow stiffness and would need to be evaluated.
Heath Bell relieved Putz and retired the side for his second save of the season.
Bell will be Arizona's closer in Putz's absence.
"I think he threw the second pitch and said he got tingling throughout his hand and really had no feeling," Diamondbacks' general manager Kevin Towers told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Wednesday. "We'll see once we get the results back, but it's more than likely going to be a lot longer than two weeks.
"Hopefully it's not Tommy John (surgery), but we'll know more probably later (Wednesday) afternoon."
Harris has two saves and a 4.63 ERA in 12 appearances at Reno this season. The 28-year-old has limited Major League experience, pitching in 20 games out of the Colorado bullpen in 2012, posting a 1-1 record and an 8.15 ERA in 17.2 innings of work.
Originally a ninth round pick of Colorado in 2006 out of LSU, Harris was waived by the Rockies in April and claimed by the Oakland Athletics, who then waived him three days later.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.