Updated May 8, 2013 - 3:58 pm
D-backs GM Towers not surprised by Didi Gregorius
And while there is no official stat to measure it, it's safe to say he's tallied at least one outstanding defensive play per game, too.
Gregorius, 23, has been nothing short of impressive since debuting with the D-backs on April 18, and appears to be ready to assume the mantle of being the team's shortstop of both the present and the future.
"I never doubted his offensive ability," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "Everybody else seemed to do it but we liked his bat."
It's still early, but so does everyone else.
Gregorius is hitting .436 with three home runs and an OPS of 1.233. Now, there's little doubt both the average and OPS will come down in time, but for now the player who was known for his glovework is quickly gaining a reputation for being solid with the bat, too.
"He brings so much energy," Towers said. "Just good at bats. He can turn on the fastball, he'll stay back on off-speed pitches and go the other way with it, he's a heads-up base runner."
Towers, who made the call to acquire Gregorius in the deal that sent top pitching prospect Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians, went on to relay a story that skipper Kirk Gibson told him.
"He said he was standing next to (infielder) Cliff Pennington [Tuesday] in the dugout, and he said 'Didi Gregorius is the best player in baseball right now,'" Towers said.
Of course, "right now" are the key words, as odds are good the shortstop will scuffle at some point.
However, he's already better than many anticipated, and this may just be the beginning.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?