Updated May 8, 2013 - 3:58 pm
D-backs GM Towers not surprised by Didi Gregorius
And while there is no official stat to measure it, it's safe to say he's tallied at least one outstanding defensive play per game, too.
Gregorius, 23, has been nothing short of impressive since debuting with the D-backs on April 18, and appears to be ready to assume the mantle of being the team's shortstop of both the present and the future.
"I never doubted his offensive ability," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "Everybody else seemed to do it but we liked his bat."
It's still early, but so does everyone else.
Gregorius is hitting .436 with three home runs and an OPS of 1.233. Now, there's little doubt both the average and OPS will come down in time, but for now the player who was known for his glovework is quickly gaining a reputation for being solid with the bat, too.
"He brings so much energy," Towers said. "Just good at bats. He can turn on the fastball, he'll stay back on off-speed pitches and go the other way with it, he's a heads-up base runner."
Towers, who made the call to acquire Gregorius in the deal that sent top pitching prospect Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians, went on to relay a story that skipper Kirk Gibson told him.
"He said he was standing next to (infielder) Cliff Pennington [Tuesday] in the dugout, and he said 'Didi Gregorius is the best player in baseball right now,'" Towers said.
Of course, "right now" are the key words, as odds are good the shortstop will scuffle at some point.
However, he's already better than many anticipated, and this may just be the beginning.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.