Updated May 8, 2013 - 3:58 pm
D-backs GM Towers not surprised by Didi Gregorius
And while there is no official stat to measure it, it's safe to say he's tallied at least one outstanding defensive play per game, too.
Gregorius, 23, has been nothing short of impressive since debuting with the D-backs on April 18, and appears to be ready to assume the mantle of being the team's shortstop of both the present and the future.
"I never doubted his offensive ability," D-backs general manager Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "Everybody else seemed to do it but we liked his bat."
It's still early, but so does everyone else.
Gregorius is hitting .436 with three home runs and an OPS of 1.233. Now, there's little doubt both the average and OPS will come down in time, but for now the player who was known for his glovework is quickly gaining a reputation for being solid with the bat, too.
"He brings so much energy," Towers said. "Just good at bats. He can turn on the fastball, he'll stay back on off-speed pitches and go the other way with it, he's a heads-up base runner."
Towers, who made the call to acquire Gregorius in the deal that sent top pitching prospect Trevor Bauer to the Cleveland Indians, went on to relay a story that skipper Kirk Gibson told him.
"He said he was standing next to (infielder) Cliff Pennington [Tuesday] in the dugout, and he said 'Didi Gregorius is the best player in baseball right now,'" Towers said.
Of course, "right now" are the key words, as odds are good the shortstop will scuffle at some point.
However, he's already better than many anticipated, and this may just be the beginning.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.