Updated May 9, 2013 - 4:48 pm
Hall: D-backs dodged bullet on Putz injury
But two days later, the prognosis for the Diamondbacks' closer looks a lot better, according to CEO Derrick Hall.
"I think we dodged a bullet, that's for sure. The description that we had from J.J., the fact he didn't feel his fingers, couldn't feel the ball his last two pitches, the sensation he said he's never felt before," Hall told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday. "I think we all feared it but you don't want to say it, but we all feared maybe Tommy John or some sort of surgery to repair, and it doesn't look like that is necessary, which is great."
Instead, Putz will rehab the injury, which was described as a sprained ligament, strained flexor pronator and an irritated nerve by Fox Sports baseball writer Ken Rosenthal Thursday morning.
Putz, 36, was 2-1 with five saves and a 4.26 ERA in 14 appearances before suffering the injury against the Dodgers.
Heath Bell has assumed closer duties and the Diamondbacks recalled right-handed reliever Will Harris from Triple-A Reno Wednesday when when Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 9When is it time to make changes?