Updated May 9, 2013 - 4:48 pm
Hall: D-backs dodged bullet on Putz injury
But two days later, the prognosis for the Diamondbacks' closer looks a lot better, according to CEO Derrick Hall.
"I think we dodged a bullet, that's for sure. The description that we had from J.J., the fact he didn't feel his fingers, couldn't feel the ball his last two pitches, the sensation he said he's never felt before," Hall told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday. "I think we all feared it but you don't want to say it, but we all feared maybe Tommy John or some sort of surgery to repair, and it doesn't look like that is necessary, which is great."
Instead, Putz will rehab the injury, which was described as a sprained ligament, strained flexor pronator and an irritated nerve by Fox Sports baseball writer Ken Rosenthal Thursday morning.
Putz, 36, was 2-1 with five saves and a 4.26 ERA in 14 appearances before suffering the injury against the Dodgers.
Heath Bell has assumed closer duties and the Diamondbacks recalled right-handed reliever Will Harris from Triple-A Reno Wednesday when when Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.