Updated May 10, 2013 - 2:33 pm
D-backs' Corbin not surprised by early success
The Arizona Diamondbacks' lefty is 5-0 and boasts an ERA of 1.75. The win total is tied for second in the National League, whereas his ERA is ranked fifth.
For a guy who didn't earn a spot in the rotation until the very end of spring training, Corbin sure has done a good job of making it seem like all this could have been expected.
"I wouldn't say I expected to come out and do this," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "But I felt like last year I learned a lot and thought I was capable to go out there and come out to a good start."
Corbin appeared in 22 games for the D-backs last season -- including 17 starts -- and posted an ERA of 4.54 to go along with a 6-8 record. And while he'd been looked at as one of the team's better pitching prospects, few pegged him to be at the top of the list.
However, he earned a job in the spring and has essentially run with it.
"I feel like there was a reason why [Manager Kirk Gibson] and [General Manager Kevin Towers] wanted me on this team, and they knew I could go out there and pitch well and help this team win," Corbin said. "And I feel like I could do the same, and that's what I believe in.
"I feel like I can just go out there every start and help this team try to win a ball game."
Corbin has done exactly that, and the D-backs have won each of his seven starts. Corbin's pitched at least six innings in all of them, and has not allowed more than two runs in any of them.
He's been the team's most consistent -- and best -- starter, and attributes his success largely to a more consistent slider as well as better fastball command.
The Diamondbacks will take it.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.