Updated May 10, 2013 - 2:33 pm
D-backs' Corbin not surprised by early success
The Arizona Diamondbacks' lefty is 5-0 and boasts an ERA of 1.75. The win total is tied for second in the National League, whereas his ERA is ranked fifth.
For a guy who didn't earn a spot in the rotation until the very end of spring training, Corbin sure has done a good job of making it seem like all this could have been expected.
"I wouldn't say I expected to come out and do this," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday. "But I felt like last year I learned a lot and thought I was capable to go out there and come out to a good start."
Corbin appeared in 22 games for the D-backs last season -- including 17 starts -- and posted an ERA of 4.54 to go along with a 6-8 record. And while he'd been looked at as one of the team's better pitching prospects, few pegged him to be at the top of the list.
However, he earned a job in the spring and has essentially run with it.
"I feel like there was a reason why [Manager Kirk Gibson] and [General Manager Kevin Towers] wanted me on this team, and they knew I could go out there and pitch well and help this team win," Corbin said. "And I feel like I could do the same, and that's what I believe in.
"I feel like I can just go out there every start and help this team try to win a ball game."
Corbin has done exactly that, and the D-backs have won each of his seven starts. Corbin's pitched at least six innings in all of them, and has not allowed more than two runs in any of them.
He's been the team's most consistent -- and best -- starter, and attributes his success largely to a more consistent slider as well as better fastball command.
The Diamondbacks will take it.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.