Updated May 14, 2013 - 9:25 am
Tale of the tape: Justin Upton trade
Formerly the cornerstone of the Arizona Diamondbacks franchise, Upton was dealt to the Atlanta Braves in January for a package of players that included infielder Martin Prado, pitchers Randall Delgado and Zeke Spruill, along with minor league shortstop Nick Ahmed and first baseman Brandon Drury. The D-backs also sent infielder Chris Johnson to Atlanta in the trade.
At the time, many felt the D-backs got the short end of the trade. Upton, 25, had yet to reach his prime, and his physical talent was undeniable.
However, the Diamondbacks were confident they got good value in return for the two-time All-Star in the seven-player trade.
Did they? Admittedly it's too early to tell, and if you look at win/loss records one could make the case that both the D-backs and Braves fared pretty well.
But baseball is a numbers game, so let's take a look at them.
First, the players at the Major League level:
|Player||Martin Prado||Justin Upton||Chris Johnson|
|BA w/RISP||.059, 4 RBI||.167, 7 RBI||.318, 9 RBI|
meaning of the
Now, the pitchers who are at Triple-A Reno.
|Minor League Pitchers||Randall Delgado (Triple-A Reno)||Zeke Spruill (Triple-A Reno)|
|Grit||Not as much
And finally, the two position players who are in the lower levels of the D-backs' farm system.
|Player||Nick Ahmed (Double-A Mobile)||Brandon Drury (Single-A South Bend)|
|Grit||Needs more||A little|
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.