Updated May 14, 2013 - 9:25 am
Tale of the tape: Justin Upton trade
Formerly the cornerstone of the Arizona Diamondbacks franchise, Upton was dealt to the Atlanta Braves in January for a package of players that included infielder Martin Prado, pitchers Randall Delgado and Zeke Spruill, along with minor league shortstop Nick Ahmed and first baseman Brandon Drury. The D-backs also sent infielder Chris Johnson to Atlanta in the trade.
At the time, many felt the D-backs got the short end of the trade. Upton, 25, had yet to reach his prime, and his physical talent was undeniable.
However, the Diamondbacks were confident they got good value in return for the two-time All-Star in the seven-player trade.
Did they? Admittedly it's too early to tell, and if you look at win/loss records one could make the case that both the D-backs and Braves fared pretty well.
But baseball is a numbers game, so let's take a look at them.
First, the players at the Major League level:
|Player||Martin Prado||Justin Upton||Chris Johnson|
|BA w/RISP||.059, 4 RBI||.167, 7 RBI||.318, 9 RBI|
meaning of the
Now, the pitchers who are at Triple-A Reno.
|Minor League Pitchers||Randall Delgado (Triple-A Reno)||Zeke Spruill (Triple-A Reno)|
|Grit||Not as much
And finally, the two position players who are in the lower levels of the D-backs' farm system.
|Player||Nick Ahmed (Double-A Mobile)||Brandon Drury (Single-A South Bend)|
|Grit||Needs more||A little|
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.