Updated May 14, 2013 - 9:25 am
Tale of the tape: Justin Upton trade
Formerly the cornerstone of the Arizona Diamondbacks franchise, Upton was dealt to the Atlanta Braves in January for a package of players that included infielder Martin Prado, pitchers Randall Delgado and Zeke Spruill, along with minor league shortstop Nick Ahmed and first baseman Brandon Drury. The D-backs also sent infielder Chris Johnson to Atlanta in the trade.
At the time, many felt the D-backs got the short end of the trade. Upton, 25, had yet to reach his prime, and his physical talent was undeniable.
However, the Diamondbacks were confident they got good value in return for the two-time All-Star in the seven-player trade.
Did they? Admittedly it's too early to tell, and if you look at win/loss records one could make the case that both the D-backs and Braves fared pretty well.
But baseball is a numbers game, so let's take a look at them.
First, the players at the Major League level:
|Player||Martin Prado||Justin Upton||Chris Johnson|
|BA w/RISP||.059, 4 RBI||.167, 7 RBI||.318, 9 RBI|
meaning of the
Now, the pitchers who are at Triple-A Reno.
|Minor League Pitchers||Randall Delgado (Triple-A Reno)||Zeke Spruill (Triple-A Reno)|
|Grit||Not as much
And finally, the two position players who are in the lower levels of the D-backs' farm system.
|Player||Nick Ahmed (Double-A Mobile)||Brandon Drury (Single-A South Bend)|
|Grit||Needs more||A little|
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.