Upton, Johnson shine in return to Arizona
It was a storybook night for former D-backs' Justin Upton and Chris Johnson in their return to Arizona.
In fact, you couldn't have scripted it any better.
Upton, facing his former mates for the first time since an offseason trade sent him to the Atlanta Braves, exploded at the plate.
The Braves' outfielder went 4-for-5 with his major league-leading 13th home run and two RBIs. The 25-year-old's two-run blast in the sixth inning also snapped a 14-game homerless drought.
This was Upton's second four-hit game of the season, and one more than he had all of last year. He also raised his average to .289 on the season.
Johnson, for his part, had a huge night against the D-backs. He went 3-for-4 with three RBIs and a two-run home run, ending an 0-for-10 skid.
The duo combined for seven hits, five RBIs and two long balls on the night. Upton and Johnson both fell a triple short of the cycle.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.