Updated May 15, 2013 - 5:40 pm
Head-to-head: Comparing Chris Johnson/Justin Upton vs. Martin Prado
In the Braves' 10-1 series-opening win on Monday night, Upton went 4-for-5 with a home run and two RBI. Upton, however, wasn't the only former D-back to get into the act.
Third baseman Chris Johnson, who played 44 games with Arizona in 2012, contributed to the nine-run rout with a two-run home run and three RBI. He had three total hits on the night.
Despite the loss, Martin Prado, the only major league-level player from the blockbuster trade currently on the D-backs roster, broke out of a 1-for-12 slump with two hits against his former club.
While Upton and Co. landed the first blow of the series, the Diamondbacks would have the last laugh.
Behind seven shutout innings from left-hander Patrick Corbin, Arizona took down the Braves 2-0 Tuesday night.
Johnson and Upton combined to go 1-for-5 on the night with two walks and a strikeout, whereas Prado went 1-for-3 with a single in the sixth inning.
In Wednesday's matinee rubber match, Upton reached base three times (one hit and two walks) but struck out in a critical situation in the ninth inning against closer Heath Bell, as the D-backs went on to take the series with a 5-3 victory.
One three-game series doesn't make or break a trade, but at least in the short-term, the D-backs can at least hang their hat on getting the best of their former teammates.
From an individual standpoint, though, Johnson and Upton weren't too shabby in their respective returns.
Chris Johnson, 3B, Atlanta Braves: 4-for-7, home run, three RBI
Justin Upton, OF, Atlanta Braves: 5-for-10, home run, two RBI, two strikeouts and four walks
Martin Prado, 2B/3B/OF, Arizona Diamondbacks: 4-for-9, double and a strikeout
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.