Updated May 15, 2013 - 5:40 pm
Head-to-head: Comparing Chris Johnson/Justin Upton vs. Martin Prado
In the Braves' 10-1 series-opening win on Monday night, Upton went 4-for-5 with a home run and two RBI. Upton, however, wasn't the only former D-back to get into the act.
Third baseman Chris Johnson, who played 44 games with Arizona in 2012, contributed to the nine-run rout with a two-run home run and three RBI. He had three total hits on the night.
Despite the loss, Martin Prado, the only major league-level player from the blockbuster trade currently on the D-backs roster, broke out of a 1-for-12 slump with two hits against his former club.
While Upton and Co. landed the first blow of the series, the Diamondbacks would have the last laugh.
Behind seven shutout innings from left-hander Patrick Corbin, Arizona took down the Braves 2-0 Tuesday night.
Johnson and Upton combined to go 1-for-5 on the night with two walks and a strikeout, whereas Prado went 1-for-3 with a single in the sixth inning.
In Wednesday's matinee rubber match, Upton reached base three times (one hit and two walks) but struck out in a critical situation in the ninth inning against closer Heath Bell, as the D-backs went on to take the series with a 5-3 victory.
One three-game series doesn't make or break a trade, but at least in the short-term, the D-backs can at least hang their hat on getting the best of their former teammates.
From an individual standpoint, though, Johnson and Upton weren't too shabby in their respective returns.
Chris Johnson, 3B, Atlanta Braves: 4-for-7, home run, three RBI
Justin Upton, OF, Atlanta Braves: 5-for-10, home run, two RBI, two strikeouts and four walks
Martin Prado, 2B/3B/OF, Arizona Diamondbacks: 4-for-9, double and a strikeout
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?