Updated May 22, 2013 - 3:59 pm
Grit Index: D-backs fall short in Colorado rubber game
Arizona dropped two of three games in Denver and heads home after a 3-3 road trip.
After Gonzalez's two-out homer off of D-backs' starter Trevor Cahill in the first, Dexter Fowler and Nolan Arenado each doubled to give the Rockies a 2-0 lead.
Then in the third, after Gonzalez's triple scored DJ LeMahieu, Cahill uncorked a wild pitch which allowed Gonzalez to score.
The D-backs' lone run came in the fourth on an RBI double from backup catcher Wil Nieves that scored Cody Ross.
Nieves, Ross and A.J. Pollock each had two hits for the D-backs.
Tony Sipp and Will Harris combined on two perfect innings of relief while striking out four Colorado hitters.
The D-backs' struggles with runners in scoring position continued as they were just 1-for-7 in those situations.
Arizona's starting infield of Paul Goldschmidt, Josh Wilson, Didi Gregorius and Martin Prado went a combined 1-for-15 with three strikeouts against Colorado pitching.
After an off day Thursday, the Diamondbacks start a rare five-game homestand against the San Diego Padres at Chase Field. Brandon McCarthy, who has been outstanding in his last two starts, gets the ball for the opener against San Diego lefty Eric Stults.
First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. and the game can be heard on Arizona Sports 620.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?