Updated May 23, 2013 - 4:38 pm
D-backs' President and CEO expects Didi Gregorius to play every day
The comment came as no surprise, considering the 23-year-old is leading Major League rookies who have at least 50 at-bats in batting average, with a .348 mark, and on-base-plus-slugging percentage (OPS), with a .960.
"Didi has proven that he's an everyday shortstop defensively, for sure," Hall said. "So far, he's proven that he's an everyday shortstop at the plate, but we know at some point the book's going to be out on him and (things) are going to change a little bit."
After referencing the inevitable adjustments pitchers will make in their approach to pitching to Gregorius, Hall went on to suggest some basic standards that could keep the Diamondbacks' offseason trade acquisition at his post.
"If Didi Gregorius is a .265-.275 hitter and occasionally flashes the power that he has, shows the excitement and enthusiasm that he has every day, the speed on the base paths, the chance and willingness to take an extra base, and (play) the defense that he plays, which is just stellar, I'm going to take that.
"This guy, right now, is playing like an All-Star shortstop," Hall concluded. "If the All-Star Game were today, Didi's got to be dressing up."
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.