Updated May 23, 2013 - 4:38 pm
D-backs' President and CEO expects Didi Gregorius to play every day
The comment came as no surprise, considering the 23-year-old is leading Major League rookies who have at least 50 at-bats in batting average, with a .348 mark, and on-base-plus-slugging percentage (OPS), with a .960.
"Didi has proven that he's an everyday shortstop defensively, for sure," Hall said. "So far, he's proven that he's an everyday shortstop at the plate, but we know at some point the book's going to be out on him and (things) are going to change a little bit."
After referencing the inevitable adjustments pitchers will make in their approach to pitching to Gregorius, Hall went on to suggest some basic standards that could keep the Diamondbacks' offseason trade acquisition at his post.
"If Didi Gregorius is a .265-.275 hitter and occasionally flashes the power that he has, shows the excitement and enthusiasm that he has every day, the speed on the base paths, the chance and willingness to take an extra base, and (play) the defense that he plays, which is just stellar, I'm going to take that.
"This guy, right now, is playing like an All-Star shortstop," Hall concluded. "If the All-Star Game were today, Didi's got to be dressing up."
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.