Arizona Diamondbacks mark Memorial Day with name wall, special uniforms
PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks made a special effort to honor those who served on Memorial Day.
From special shirts to a memory expert, the D-backs took advantage of their doubleheader with the Texas Rangers to make Monday a special day at the ballpark.
Ron White, a veteran of the war in Afghanistan, is a two-time U.S. memory champion and knows the names of every American killed in that conflict.
"I've memorized all 2,200 of them in the order of their deaths," he said. "Memorized their ranks, their first name and their last name. It's about 7,000 words."
The D-backs hired White to write out the names of each soldier on a massive wall at Chase Field.
"We're going to get a 50-foot wall. It's black and looks like the Vietnam Wall," he said. "About an hour before game one, I'm going to start writing out the names from memory. It will take me about 10 hours to write all 7,000 words."
In addition to White's tribute, the D-backs wore camouflage jerseys and hats with all proceeds from the sales of the merchandise going to the Welcome Home Veterans program.
The D-backs bullpen also wore special shirts to mark the day.
Bob McClay, Reporter
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.