Updated Jun 3, 2013 - 6:16 pm
Owings, Bradley win D-backs' organizational awards for second consecutive month
Owings, who leads the minor leagues in hits, with 86 -- 10 more than any other minor leaguer -- currently has a 21-game hit streak intact. The 21-year-old shortstop hit .355 (44-for-124) in 29 games in the month of May, recording six doubles, 14 RBI, three stolen bases and one home run.
Following the 2012 season, Baseball America ranked Owings as the Diamondbacks' No. 7 prospect. Selected 41st overall as a supplemental first-rounder in the 2009 draft, Owings leads the Pacific Coast League in games, at-bats and runs scored.
Bradley, who was recently recognized by ESPN's Keith Law as Major League Baseball's ninth-best prospect, went 4-1 with a 0.79 ERA after being promoted to Double-A Mobile at the beginning of the month. He currently boasts the second-best ERA (1.01) and strikeout total (80) in the minor leagues. Right-handers in the Southern League are currently batting .100 (7-for-70) with 20 strikeouts against Bradley, who didn't allow a home run in the month of May.
The Diamondbacks selected the hard-throwing 20-year-old with the seventh pick of the 2011 draft.
Monday was the first time that the organization's player and pitcher awards were captured by the same pair for consecutive months.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?