Updated Jun 4, 2013 - 1:59 pm
D-backs manager Gibson: Wade Miley's rotation spot not in jeopardy
He was an All-Star, and finished second in the NL Rookie of the Year voting.
Entrenched in the team's starting rotation to begin this season, the 26-year-old left-hander has struggled mightily.
Miley is 3-5 with an ERA of 5.01 in 11 starts. He's allowed 66 hits and 23 walks in 64.2 innings of work, and he finished the month of May -- which was a disaster in and of itself -- by allowing seven runs in a loss to the Chicago Cubs.
The pitcher's struggles and some comments from D-backs manager Kirk Gibson led some to speculate that his spot in the starting rotation may be in jeopardy, but the skipper told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday that is not the case.
"I just want to see him have some belief in himself," Gibson said when asked if he really needs to see something out of Miley soon. "He was a different guy after he gave up seven runs, and that part's frustrating.
"Wade, it's not like if he doesn't throw the ball well he's out of the rotation, no, that was not what I was intimating at all."
However, Gibson did say his pitcher "does have to throw the ball better," and said Miley needs to make sure not to let the struggles baseball will deal you get to you and keep you down.
"It will get you mentally, and when it does you have to tough your way through it and you have to stop being over-analytical," he said. "You have to fight your way through it and believe in yourself."
Gibson, who is in his third full season as the team's manager, said Miley started to do that at the tail end of his start in Chicago and is capable of pitching that way for an entire game.
"He gets it, it's all just part of growing up," Gibson said, noting Miley only has 47 Major League starts to his name and that he still has much to learn. "They're not fun lessons, by any means, but it's part of it and I feel like he'll rebound."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.