Updated Jun 7, 2013 - 5:00 pm
Pitching coach optimistic D-backs' Ian Kennedy can return to '11 form
The 28-year-old right-hander was knocked around for 10 runs on 13 hits in just four innings of work in a 12-8 defeat. With the loss, Kennedy's record fell to 3-4 and his ERA ballooned to 5.72.
So what has happened to the Ian Kennedy won 21 games and had a 2.88 ERA for the NL West champions just two seasons ago?
"Right now, it's just consistency with Ian," D-backs pitching coach Charles Nagy told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "He'll go out and have a good game, then he'll go out and have a so-so game and then he'll go out and have a really, really bad game, like (Thursday)."
Despite the ugly numbers, Nagy wasn't convinced that the results were all Kennedy's doing.
"You've got to hand it to St. Louis, they've got a really good lineup over there and when you give a team like that extra outs in an inning, bad things are going to happen," he said. "They waited Ian out on a few at-bats, he made a couple of mistakes out over the plate and they made him pay."
That could have been the case against St. Louis, but Kennedy's struggles have been pretty consistent throughout the season. Nagy has thoughts on this as well.
"Teams make adjustments," Nagy explained. "Hitters make adjustments, they've seen him now a few times and they know early on, he's going to throw fastballs."
After an opening day win over the Cardinals, Kennedy has gone 2-4 with an ERA of 6.06. But his pitching coach is optimistic that his hurler can get back to his form of the past.
"It's just consistency from one start to another and just trying to get him on a two or three-game roll and hopefully things will snowball from there."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.