Updated Jun 7, 2013 - 5:00 pm
Pitching coach optimistic D-backs' Ian Kennedy can return to '11 form
The 28-year-old right-hander was knocked around for 10 runs on 13 hits in just four innings of work in a 12-8 defeat. With the loss, Kennedy's record fell to 3-4 and his ERA ballooned to 5.72.
So what has happened to the Ian Kennedy won 21 games and had a 2.88 ERA for the NL West champions just two seasons ago?
"Right now, it's just consistency with Ian," D-backs pitching coach Charles Nagy told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Friday. "He'll go out and have a good game, then he'll go out and have a so-so game and then he'll go out and have a really, really bad game, like (Thursday)."
Despite the ugly numbers, Nagy wasn't convinced that the results were all Kennedy's doing.
"You've got to hand it to St. Louis, they've got a really good lineup over there and when you give a team like that extra outs in an inning, bad things are going to happen," he said. "They waited Ian out on a few at-bats, he made a couple of mistakes out over the plate and they made him pay."
That could have been the case against St. Louis, but Kennedy's struggles have been pretty consistent throughout the season. Nagy has thoughts on this as well.
"Teams make adjustments," Nagy explained. "Hitters make adjustments, they've seen him now a few times and they know early on, he's going to throw fastballs."
After an opening day win over the Cardinals, Kennedy has gone 2-4 with an ERA of 6.06. But his pitching coach is optimistic that his hurler can get back to his form of the past.
"It's just consistency from one start to another and just trying to get him on a two or three-game roll and hopefully things will snowball from there."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.