Updated Jun 8, 2013 - 10:54 pm
D-backs first baseman Paul Goldschmidt continues to deliver late
The 25-year-old leads the National League in RBI (58) and Wins Above Replacement (3.7), is second in on-base plus slugging percentage (1.004) and ranks in the top 5 in home runs (15), doubles (17), slugging percentage (.599), on-base percentage (.405) and hits (74).
But what's made Goldschmidt's campaign so impressive through 62 games is the timing of his production.
Friday night's game-winning, three-run home run in the eighth inning against the San Francisco Giants marked the fourth time this year the D-backs first baseman has hit a go-ahead blast in the eighth inning or later. The next closest player in that category is the Atlanta Braves' Evan Gattis with two.
Arguably more remarkable is that all four home runs have come in the last 32 days.
May 7, 2013 - Two-run shot off Brandon League in D-backs' 5-3 win over the Dodgers
May 8, 2013 - Solo shot off Kenley Jansen in D-backs' 3-2 win over the Dodgers
June 1, 2013 - Grand slam off Carlos Marmol in D-backs' 12-4 win over the Cubs
June 7, 2013 - Three-run shot off Jeremy Affeldt in D-backs' 3-1 win over the Giants
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.