Updated Jun 8, 2013 - 10:54 pm
D-backs first baseman Paul Goldschmidt continues to deliver late
The 25-year-old leads the National League in RBI (58) and Wins Above Replacement (3.7), is second in on-base plus slugging percentage (1.004) and ranks in the top 5 in home runs (15), doubles (17), slugging percentage (.599), on-base percentage (.405) and hits (74).
But what's made Goldschmidt's campaign so impressive through 62 games is the timing of his production.
Friday night's game-winning, three-run home run in the eighth inning against the San Francisco Giants marked the fourth time this year the D-backs first baseman has hit a go-ahead blast in the eighth inning or later. The next closest player in that category is the Atlanta Braves' Evan Gattis with two.
Arguably more remarkable is that all four home runs have come in the last 32 days.
May 7, 2013 - Two-run shot off Brandon League in D-backs' 5-3 win over the Dodgers
May 8, 2013 - Solo shot off Kenley Jansen in D-backs' 3-2 win over the Dodgers
June 1, 2013 - Grand slam off Carlos Marmol in D-backs' 12-4 win over the Cubs
June 7, 2013 - Three-run shot off Jeremy Affeldt in D-backs' 3-1 win over the Giants
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.