Updated Jun 10, 2013 - 7:19 am
Arizona Diamondbacks' rotation has fallen on hard times of late
While the combination of quality opponents and a road-heavy schedule has contributed to the D-backs' underwhelming play of late, when it comes down to it, Kirk Gibson and Co. have been let down by their starting pitching.
Following Saturday night's 10-5 loss to the San Francisco Giants, Gibson told the media that he's not too concerned about the starting rotation's struggles, citing that the recent trend is a product of a long season.
"We'd like to have better performances, but it wasn't long ago they were dominating," said Gibson. "It's the ups and downs of the season."
Although the manager's reluctance to overreact is understandable, the numbers are hard to ignore.
Over the last 11 games, Arizona starting pitchers have allowed 58 earned runs in 60 2/3 innings of work. In that same span, they've gone 3-6 with two no decisions and two quality starts.
But it hasn't just been the latest stretch of games. On the whole, it's been hit or miss with the rotation in 2013.
Take out Patrick Corbin's remarkable 9-0 start, and the team's starting pitchers (Ian Kennedy, Brandon McCarthy, Trevor Cahill, Wade Miley and Tyler Skaggs) are a combined 13-21 with a 4.92 ERA.
Add in the fact that Daniel Hudson's done for the season with a UCL tear in his right elbow, and the D-backs might have some trouble remaining atop the NL West Standings if their rotation doesn't find a way to return to form in the coming weeks.
Here's a look back at the last 11 games by the numbers:
|Starting Pitcher||Date||Opposing Team||Innings Pitched||Hits||Earned Runs||Strikeouts||Walks||Decision|
|Brandon McCarthy||5/30||@ Rangers||2.2||9||6||0||0||Loss|
|Wade Miley||5/31||@ Cubs||7.0||7||7||7||2||Loss|
|Ian Kennedy||6/1||@ Cubs||7.0||3||4||7||1||Win|
|Patrick Corbin||6/2||@ Cubs||6.0||6||4||5||2||Win|
|Trevor Cahill||6/3||@ Cardinals||5.0||9||5||0||3||Loss|
|Tyler Skaggs||6/4||@ Cardinals||5.2||6||5||4||0||No Decision|
|Wade Miley||6/5||@ Cardinals||7.0||11||3||1||2||Win|
|Ian Kennedy||6/6||@ Cardinals||4.0||13||10||4||2||Loss|
|Patrick Corbin||6/7||vs. Giants||7.1||7||1||4||0||No Decision|
|Trevor Cahill||6/8||vs. Giants||3.2||9||8||3||1||Loss|
|Tyler Skaggs||6/9||vs. Giants||5.1||8||5||4||3||Loss|
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.