Updated Jun 10, 2013 - 7:19 am
Arizona Diamondbacks' rotation has fallen on hard times of late
While the combination of quality opponents and a road-heavy schedule has contributed to the D-backs' underwhelming play of late, when it comes down to it, Kirk Gibson and Co. have been let down by their starting pitching.
Following Saturday night's 10-5 loss to the San Francisco Giants, Gibson told the media that he's not too concerned about the starting rotation's struggles, citing that the recent trend is a product of a long season.
"We'd like to have better performances, but it wasn't long ago they were dominating," said Gibson. "It's the ups and downs of the season."
Although the manager's reluctance to overreact is understandable, the numbers are hard to ignore.
Over the last 11 games, Arizona starting pitchers have allowed 58 earned runs in 60 2/3 innings of work. In that same span, they've gone 3-6 with two no decisions and two quality starts.
But it hasn't just been the latest stretch of games. On the whole, it's been hit or miss with the rotation in 2013.
Take out Patrick Corbin's remarkable 9-0 start, and the team's starting pitchers (Ian Kennedy, Brandon McCarthy, Trevor Cahill, Wade Miley and Tyler Skaggs) are a combined 13-21 with a 4.92 ERA.
Add in the fact that Daniel Hudson's done for the season with a UCL tear in his right elbow, and the D-backs might have some trouble remaining atop the NL West Standings if their rotation doesn't find a way to return to form in the coming weeks.
Here's a look back at the last 11 games by the numbers:
|Starting Pitcher||Date||Opposing Team||Innings Pitched||Hits||Earned Runs||Strikeouts||Walks||Decision|
|Brandon McCarthy||5/30||@ Rangers||2.2||9||6||0||0||Loss|
|Wade Miley||5/31||@ Cubs||7.0||7||7||7||2||Loss|
|Ian Kennedy||6/1||@ Cubs||7.0||3||4||7||1||Win|
|Patrick Corbin||6/2||@ Cubs||6.0||6||4||5||2||Win|
|Trevor Cahill||6/3||@ Cardinals||5.0||9||5||0||3||Loss|
|Tyler Skaggs||6/4||@ Cardinals||5.2||6||5||4||0||No Decision|
|Wade Miley||6/5||@ Cardinals||7.0||11||3||1||2||Win|
|Ian Kennedy||6/6||@ Cardinals||4.0||13||10||4||2||Loss|
|Patrick Corbin||6/7||vs. Giants||7.1||7||1||4||0||No Decision|
|Trevor Cahill||6/8||vs. Giants||3.2||9||8||3||1||Loss|
|Tyler Skaggs||6/9||vs. Giants||5.1||8||5||4||3||Loss|
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.