Updated Jun 10, 2013 - 7:19 am
Arizona Diamondbacks' rotation has fallen on hard times of late
While the combination of quality opponents and a road-heavy schedule has contributed to the D-backs' underwhelming play of late, when it comes down to it, Kirk Gibson and Co. have been let down by their starting pitching.
Following Saturday night's 10-5 loss to the San Francisco Giants, Gibson told the media that he's not too concerned about the starting rotation's struggles, citing that the recent trend is a product of a long season.
"We'd like to have better performances, but it wasn't long ago they were dominating," said Gibson. "It's the ups and downs of the season."
Although the manager's reluctance to overreact is understandable, the numbers are hard to ignore.
Over the last 11 games, Arizona starting pitchers have allowed 58 earned runs in 60 2/3 innings of work. In that same span, they've gone 3-6 with two no decisions and two quality starts.
But it hasn't just been the latest stretch of games. On the whole, it's been hit or miss with the rotation in 2013.
Take out Patrick Corbin's remarkable 9-0 start, and the team's starting pitchers (Ian Kennedy, Brandon McCarthy, Trevor Cahill, Wade Miley and Tyler Skaggs) are a combined 13-21 with a 4.92 ERA.
Add in the fact that Daniel Hudson's done for the season with a UCL tear in his right elbow, and the D-backs might have some trouble remaining atop the NL West Standings if their rotation doesn't find a way to return to form in the coming weeks.
Here's a look back at the last 11 games by the numbers:
|Starting Pitcher||Date||Opposing Team||Innings Pitched||Hits||Earned Runs||Strikeouts||Walks||Decision|
|Brandon McCarthy||5/30||@ Rangers||2.2||9||6||0||0||Loss|
|Wade Miley||5/31||@ Cubs||7.0||7||7||7||2||Loss|
|Ian Kennedy||6/1||@ Cubs||7.0||3||4||7||1||Win|
|Patrick Corbin||6/2||@ Cubs||6.0||6||4||5||2||Win|
|Trevor Cahill||6/3||@ Cardinals||5.0||9||5||0||3||Loss|
|Tyler Skaggs||6/4||@ Cardinals||5.2||6||5||4||0||No Decision|
|Wade Miley||6/5||@ Cardinals||7.0||11||3||1||2||Win|
|Ian Kennedy||6/6||@ Cardinals||4.0||13||10||4||2||Loss|
|Patrick Corbin||6/7||vs. Giants||7.1||7||1||4||0||No Decision|
|Trevor Cahill||6/8||vs. Giants||3.2||9||8||3||1||Loss|
|Tyler Skaggs||6/9||vs. Giants||5.1||8||5||4||3||Loss|
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.